ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] reporting back to the council

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] reporting back to the council
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 19:27:43 -0400

It would be surprising to arrive at a completely different end than
the ccNSO on the subject of additional entries in the IANA root sought
by existing holders of two character strings.

Obviously, "china", 中国, xn--fiqs8s, and 中國, xn--fiqz9s are "similar".

Under one construction, if sought as gTLDs, only one of these could be
allowed. If sought as ccTLDs, two or more of these could be allowed.

I support asking for the clarification Chuck has suggested.

Eric