ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] RCRC Comments on the WG IGO/INGO template

  • To: gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] RCRC Comments on the WG IGO/INGO template
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 17:04:42 +0400

Hi,

True, in fact the GNSO has made policy recommendations in the past that
specified that laws provided and exception to the policy - something that was
perhaps made necessary by contracts such as the RAA.

In this instance, one of the things I have asked for periodically has been
evidence of court case rulings where the specific words that the IOC or RCRC is
seeking to protect have won the protections they are demanding.  I agree with
David that this is not a precedent for policy, but it would go some distance in
substantiating the legal arguments that haver been presented in this
discussion.  At this point, I beleive we are just being presented with one
side's legal argument.  A judges ruling, e.g., that the name Olympic could not
be used on the Internet by anyone for any purpose, would indeed be helpful.

Perhaps as a non lawyer I do not understand, but i tend to see one side's
arguments as interesting and maybe even persuasive, but certainly not
determinative of anything.

avri