ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] RCRC Comments on the WG IGO/INGO template

  • To: "'David W. Maher'" <dmaher@xxxxxxx>, Stephane Hankins <shankins@xxxxxxxx>, THOMAS RICKERT <rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-secs@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-secs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] RCRC Comments on the WG IGO/INGO template
  • From: "Shatan, Gregory S." <GShatan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 16:14:49 +0000

I disagree with both these points.  First, our decisions should be based on
legal considerations.  Even if humanitarian concerns are relevant, I don't
think this group or ICANN in general is qualified to evaluate the missions of
various IGOs/INGOs and decide which ones are "humanitarian."  Nor should we
decide that "humanitarian" organizations should get greater protections.  Is
the ASPCA not sufficiently "humanitarian" because it protects animals and not
humans?

Second, unless ICANN's procedures for the registration of domain names are
above the law, ICANN's procedures exist with and must be consistent with these
laws.  And of course, we are talking about more than mere "procedure" here.

Greg