ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

[gnso-igo-ingo] Criteria and SG-C Input

  • To: Thomas Rickert <rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-igo-ingo] Criteria and SG-C Input
  • From: "Claudia MACMASTER TAMARIT" <MACMASTER@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 15:41:37 +0000

Dear Thomas and all,

Please find our attached comments to the SG & C input request template.

We cannot overemphasize the need for identifying objective eligibility criteria
for any proposed special protection of international organization
names/acronyms.  Privileging some without such criteria would be unacceptable
for a monopoly operation.

Instead, we would suggest to focus the discussions on identifying the criteria
which qualify an international organization as being in a particularly
vulnerable position vis-à-vis abuse of their name/acronym in domain names as
new gTLDs roll out and why such protection is needed.  Additionally, we would
suggest that some may be more vulnerable in regards to first and/or second
level registrations, and should consider these separately.

To help focus the discussions on objective criteria to be uniformly applied, we
include the below discussion draft criteria:

(Draft) Objective Criteria for inclusion of International Organizations for
Protection (Reserved List) in First and Second Level TLDs

-          Number of member countries in the international organization;

-          Percentage of governmental or public members in the international
organization;

-          Number of countries in which the international organization has
operations or provides services and/or products;

-          Nature and impact of work, services and/or products on an
international level;

-          Nature and extent of collaborations with governments and other
international organizations;

-          Status of international organization under international and/or
domestic law;

-          Duration of international organization's existence;

-          Status of the international organization as a non-profit institution
and/or operating in the public interest;

-          Recognition/use of name or acronym with/by the international
organization;

-          Number and extent of existing abusive domain name registrations
relating to the name or acronym.

Sincerely,
Claudia

Claudia MacMaster Tamarit, Esq.
Intellectual Property Rights Manager
(ISO) International Organization for Standardization
www.iso.org<http://www.iso.org>

1, ch de la Voie-Creuse
P.O. Box 56
CH-1211 Geneva 20