ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Criteria and SG-C Input

  • To: Thomas Rickert <rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Criteria and SG-C Input
  • From: GUILHERME ricardo <ricardo.GUILHERME@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 16:29:15 +0000

Dear Thomas and All,

>From an IGO perspective, and in order to assist fair, balanced and objective
>WG deliberations on the issue of protection of the names and acronyms of IGOs,
>we believe it is important to re-emphasize that (especially in order for any
>recommendations of this group on IGO protection to have a credible foundation)
>we must, collectively, take appropriate account of the following:

*             IGOs are in fact protected under international and domestic laws
in a way which differs in many key respects from the protections afforded at
law to non-IGO trademark owners.  For example, the names and acronyms of IGOs
benefit from certain forms of preventive protection under international law
against unauthorized use and registration, which is then incorporated (either
directly or through specific domestic statutes) into the national laws of
countries.  Such protection both recognizes the international intergovernmental
nature of IGOs, and that it is not practicable for such organizations to submit
to the jurisdiction of any one national legal system for purposes of enforcing
rights in IGO names and acronyms which may be subject to improper use or abuse
(needless to say, cases of abuses of their names and acronyms on the Internet
have already been widely reported and documented by IGOs). The legal and public
policy foundations of this IGO protection are succinctly explained, for
example, in the letter sent by legal counsel of several IGOs to ICANN as well
as the common position paper from IGOs, copies of which are attached for
reference.

*             Moreover, IGOs have a public mission and are funded by public
money, which is ultimately derived from taxpayers.  Thus, any abuse of IGO
names and acronyms within the domain name system which must be remedied via
insufficient fee-based curative (rather than preventive) mechanisms comes at a
cost to the public missions of IGOs, which is likely to be prohibitive in a
vastly expanded domain name system.  This was a point further explained in a
presentation given by the OECD Legal Counsel on behalf of IGOs in Prague.

*             The principal existing rights protection mechanism currently
available to trademark owners within the Domain Name System to address abuse at
the second level is the UDRP, which does not provide protection for IGOs
(although IGOs have been seeking IGO-specific protection from the ICANN
community for years).

*             Envisaged rights protection mechanisms for new gTLDs might
provide some limited protection for IGOs (for example, a certain subset of IGOs
would have standing to bring a Legal Rights Objection against a new gTLD
applicant).  However, the basic problem with all such mechanisms from an IGO
perspective is that they are curative rather than preventive in nature (in
contrast to the legal basis of IGO protection of names and acronyms, which is
designed to be preventive). In addition, they are fee-based (effectively
requiring IGOs to divert public funds to access) and may infringe on the
privileges and immunities of IGOs (particularly in terms of immunity from
domestic jurisdiction and executive measures) as accorded by international
treaties and domestic statutes. The standing requirement for mechanisms such as
the LRO are also problematic for many IGOs, because these are linked to
satisfaction of existing criteria for registration of ".int" domains, and thus
may exclude certain organizations (such as UNICEF or UNAIDS) as well as certain
permanent programs established by IGOs, even if these also fall under the
protective umbrella of the aforementioned international treaties and domestic
statutes (this is similar to the arguments presented by the RCRC movement, in
the sense that protection is not only limited to the names and acronyms of
IGOs, but also to some of their permanent programs).

*             Thus, the basic problem IGOs are seeking to address in this GNSO
process  - if indeed any recommendations would be judged necessary and be
capable of achieving the necessary consensus among participants in this group,
taking due account of other recently expressed views and discussed developments
within other ICANN fora - is that:

Although the names and acronyms of IGOs are the subject of preventive
protection under international and domestic laws, no equivalent protection for
is provided for by ICANN as a matter of policy.

This should be regarded as problematic for a not-for-profit, California-based
company, which has just approved a massive expansion of the domain name system
which it is charged to technically administer, in which expanded scope for
domain name abuse is self-evident.

*             It is important to bear in mind that ICANN does not operate in a
legal vacuum, and that any policy ICANN would adopt on IGOs (or indeed INGOs)
must be established on an objective and legally-consistent basis. Needless to
say, this obligation is enshrined in the ICANN Articles of Incorporation in the
sense that it "shall operate for the benefit of the Internet community as a
whole, carrying out its activities in conformity with relevant principles of
international law and applicable international conventions and local law."
Furthermore, the ICANN Bylaws also recognize, as part of the organization's
core values, that "governments and public authorities are responsible for
public policy" and that it shall duly take into account governments' or public
authorities' recommendations.

*             While the ICANN New gTLD Committee Board resolution [number]
granting interim preventive protection for certain IGOs in connection with new
gTLDs does envisage further consideration of this issue by this working group,
it is also appropriate that the Board's stated reasons and precedent set by
this resolution and its grant of interim protection for some IGOs be kept
carefully in mind as a basis for the group's further discussion.  This is
especially so given the strong opposition apparently already voiced by some
participants in this group, before we have even finished scoping.  It is
important that, in order for this group's work would be appropriately informed
and fruitful, that participants keep an open mind and an objective approach in
line with existing binding international legal statutes.  As a matter of
working group process, and given the strong views already expressed, it may
also be useful to clarify the degree of consensus that would in practice be
required under the relevant by-laws for any recommendation to lift such interim
protection, and to consider this in light of current working group composition.

*             The relationship of the current working group process to the
clear GAC advice issued to the Board via its Toronto Communiqué and as
reflected in the recent GAC letter to the GNSO, and any ultimate steps taken by
the Board in light of further advice from the GAC or GNSO (if this would differ
from the GAC), apparently remains to be clarified.  In that sense, it may be
seen as somewhat problematic if not premature to continue our working group
deliberations while such clarity remains outstanding, and the status of any
resulting recommendations from this group (in which it is already apparent we
will all need to invest considerably, at apparently quite inconvenient times
for some) would appear to remain correspondingly unclear.  However, and being
mindful of the Chair's advice for our work in this group to proceed apace in
any event, it is nevertheless important for this WG to give appropriate weight
and regard to the information and advice already issued by the GAC on the issue
of IGO protection, and to remain conscious of work which may be ongoing within
the GAC on this issue (particularly bearing in mind that, as per the ICANN
By-laws, the GAC's advice to the Board "on public policy matters shall be duly
taken into account, both in the formulation and adoption of policies").  While
this WG may naturally need to make up its own collective mind about the weight
to be attributed to such clear advice by the governments of the world as
represented in the GAC, might we suggest that one useful and potentially
efficient starting point for the WG could be to consider whether there are any
valid reasons why the GAC advice itself could not form one useful baseline for
our further deliberations within this group?

*             In other words, what (if any) are the reasons why our group could
not commence our deliberations on the best way forward based on our considered
analysis of the GAC's advice?  If there would be valid reasons for not doing
so, that would be one aspect to be studied; but if not, it would seem somewhat
odd if this WG were to somehow simply set such clear advice aside from the
outset without considered reasons for doing so.

*             On the other hand, and as far as international non-governmental
organizations are concerned, we continue to be concerned by the fact that any
discussion surrounding the protection of INGO names does not seem to follow
strictly objective parameters for that whole category as such. Instead, the WG
continues to refer to two specific organizations/movements as if they were one
and the same, EVEN when we all know that the legal grounds for protection of
one movement are clearly distinct from those allegedly relating to the other
named organization (i.e., a number of designations protected by the Geneva
Convention as opposed to none in the Nairobi Treaty). It is in this specific
regard, where NO international or domestic legal statutes already
regulate/determine the protection of certain names and acronyms, that the GNSO
has the legitimacy to perhaps propose policy that may lead to certain
additional protection applicable to INGOs on the basis of other objective
criteria.

So as previously promised, please find attached again the UPU's submission of
September 2012, which in our view is absolutely necessary to clarify a great
number of flawed considerations/conclusions contained in the Unredacted Paper
and the Final Issues Report referred to by some WG participants, and to duly
inform any advice to be provided by the WG on this important matter. This, of
course, is without prejudice to any further UPU and IGO positions that may have
been expressed after such submission was circulated among the various ICANN
bodies.

In any event, we look forward to continuing participation in the important work
of this WG, and remain at your disposal for additional clarification (even
though I personally will not be able to participate in tonight's call due to a
severe cold/flu).

With best regards,

Ricardo Guilherme