ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

[gnso-igo-ingo] Update from Admission team

  • To: gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-igo-ingo] Update from Admission team
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 14:56:54 -0500

Hi,

Update from the Admission team

- The 3 members of the Admission team (Chuck, Mary and me) started by each
contributing our responses to the questions by filling in the cells in the table

- Chuck then took those responses and:
a. produced a possible common statement for each cell in the table
b. proposed a short answer to the actual question

- We had a Tele-chat where we discussed each cell making edits.  We also
discussed possible new questions, but in the end decided against adding any
questions.  Finally we settled on the wording of the short answers to the
questions.  Chuck once again took this content and updated the table.

- Avri produced this cover note, which was discussed by the team members.

- The table is attached to this note.

---

The team was concerned by the topic of criteria and types of criteria used in
admission control. We saw this as a problem of balancing the various criteria
and categories of criteria.  We did not think that any criteria or type of
criteria was absolute.

The Team discussed many concerns beyond the type of organization and the treaty
or list they might be on.  We beleive that there will be many necessary
components in any decision. The team envisions admission as depending on
meeting a base set of criteria, e.g. treaty basis, IGO list membership, type of
organization or type of activity, as well as meeting at least some subset of
criteria from categories such as UDRP/URS and other RPM history, infringement
history, DNS threat level, uniqueness of the name under question,
jurisdictional scope etc..

We were also concerned about the degree of magnitude of [number] as defined in
many of the questions, and had many questions on the definitions of various
terms, such as evidence of infringement and DNS threat.

We think admission requires an evaluation process suited to a complex set of
characteristics and metrics. That is, this issue requires multi-variate
admission procedures and processes.