ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Nature of the problem / Evidence of harm discussion

  • To: "'Avri Doria'" <avri@xxxxxxx>, GNSO IGO INGO <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Nature of the problem / Evidence of harm discussion
  • From: "Novoa, Osvaldo" <onovoa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 11:47:25 -0200

Hi,
I think that was exactly the GAC's intention, to grant the Red Cross and the
IOC initially and later to IGO and INGO special protections.  I don't think
they are likely to suffer more harm than other trademarks and I think that in
some cases some trademarks are more at risk than IGOs or INGOs.  This is why we
think there is no need for a harm analysis.
The fact that a sufficient number of countries have granted some IGOs and INGOs
special protections, through international treaties and/or international laws
(I am not a lawyer so I don't know the differences between these), is what we
consider a reason for ICANN to also grant them a special protection.
I cannot think of any situation in which an IGO or INGO can suffer harm that
cannot be replicated for a private organization.
Best regards,
Osvaldo