ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Nature of the problem / Evidence of harm discussion - IGO Perspective

  • To: "Novoa, Osvaldo" <onovoa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Avri Doria'" <avri@xxxxxxx>, "GNSO IGO INGO" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Nature of the problem / Evidence of harm discussion - IGO Perspective
  • From: "Roache-Turner, David" <david.roacheturner@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 16:54:50 +0000

Dear Avri, Osvaldo, all,

>From the perspective of the OECD, WIPO and the UPU in coalition with 40 other
>IGOs, further to the below exchanges and some of the subsequent discussions
>within the group -

We feel it is important to reiterate that, although the type of harm that can
be done may be similar, IGOs are simply NOT the same as trademark owners.  Nor
are they the same as or interchangeable with INGOs.

IGOs are a very limited category of public entity, with public missions, funded
ultimately by public money, whose names and acronyms are protected under
international and domestic law (in this latter case via specific statutes or
through direct incorporation of international law into their legal framework).
The protection afforded under these laws reflects an absolute legal presumption
and does not require a demonstration of "harm" as a precondition for preventive
protection of IGO names and acronyms - nor does the Board's resolution on
interim protection based on the reserved list, or the GAC Toronto advice.

To the extent that "harm" would be a relevant consideration for ICANN to align
its policy norms with international and national legal norms, there is abundant
evidence already on the record before this group, merely the latest example of
which is set out in the just-circulated domain names registration evaluation,
the general findings of which speak for themselves.  Of the limited number of
IGOs sampled in that report, the following are reviewed as already showing
multiple instances of potential abuse of their names and/or acronyms in domain
names registered by third parties (not to mention the RC/RC as an INGO and its
associated names):

CERN, IAEA, ILO, ESA, ITU, IMF, NATO, OECD, UNESCO, UNICEF, UPU, WHO, WIPO and
the WTO and the RC/RC

Please bear in mind once more that this is based on a relatively small sample
group of IGOs and potential domains (excluding for instance other cases of
parked and/or monetizing domains in ccTLDs), and takes no account of the
evident multiplication of such risks to be caused by ICANN's decision to expand
the DNS by a factor of 50.

It is also important to remind this working group that, in connection with our
discussions on the establishment of a reserved list, the answer to the
questions "What is the standard of harm which was required in order to protect
other entities currently included on the reserve list, such as country and
territory names, and United Nations member states?  Is it a standard which was
or is required to go beyond anything that has ever been recognized for
trademark owners?" is naturally in the negative, since country and territory
names are not trademarks nor protected as such; moreover, United Nations
members states are generally not trademark owners;  nor are IGO names and
acronyms trademarks, nor IGOs themselves generally trademark owners (apart from
very few exceptions associated with names and acronyms not falling under the
scope of 6ter). In other words, the very purpose of the aforementioned
international law provisions (i.e., article 6ter of the Paris Convention and
other international treaties) is not to regulate the protection of names and
acronyms of IGOs as subjects of industrial property, but rather to exclude them
from becoming such subjects in the circumstances defined therein.

Whether from a legal or a public policy perspective, it is important that we
keep this fundamental distinction in mind.  We cannot assume that any
protection which ICANN recognizes as applicable to IGOs must somehow be
regarded as problematic because trademark owners (which are in a wholly
different category as a matter of law or public policy) will on that basis
somehow feel they are entitled to another bite at the apple.  And even if they
would, there is in any event a clear legal and public policy basis for ICANN
distinguishing between the two. To emphasize this point once more: the names
and acronyms of IGOs cannot, as a matter of principle, be equated with ordinary
trademarks. This alone makes them subject to a different set of protective
principles when compared to INGOs and other private sector entities.

In conclusion, we need to be focusing on the issue of IGO (and according to the
mandate, also INGO) protection on its own legal and public policy terms.  While
speculation concerning what a wholly different category of right holder may or
may not do in response may be interesting, it hardly seems fair or legally
appropriate to hold that against our objective assessment of the merits of the
cases at hand.

Best regards,

David, Ricardo and Sam