ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Proposed protection matrix - to be discussed during the next call

  • To: Thomas Rickert <rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Proposed protection matrix - to be discussed during the next call
  • From: "Claudia MACMASTER TAMARIT" <MACMASTER@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 13:12:19 +0000

Hi Thomas,

Without the benefit of Avri's thoughts on this, I suggest we start by defining
the purpose and aim of a recommendation to grant special protections (very much
in line with Mary's email regarding rationale) and place it directly into the
spreadsheet.

I suggest our aim is to identify a limited group of international organizations
with global reach and extraordinary public service that face the risk of abuse
of their names in the upcoming expansion of the DNS.  The justification is
manifold.   For example, it is in the public interest to avoid or reduce
confusion and fraud experienced by the public by illegitimate or unauthorized
uses of such organizations' names,  avoid or reduce the expenditure of publicly
funded non-profit international organizations' resources on fighting abuse of
their names in the DNS, and to protect the reputation and goodwill in the names
of international organizations that have been formally created and mandated to
serve the international public interest.  I dare say I'm sure that someone more
eloquent than I can word it better.

In any case, the Internet community deserves a clear rationale for a grant of
special protection.  The criteria should flow from this rationale -- whether we
suggest criteria proposed earlier, existing criteria (such as that required to
be on the UN ECOSOC list), or newly created criteria that are tailored to
satisfy the aim and purpose of granting special protection.

Naturally, we can consider whether protection should be granted only to those
organizations that apply to ICANN for it.  Additionally, we can suggest
requiring that the organization affirm a claim of legal protection in its name
(using the TMCH for example) and possess at least one domain name where the
second level matches the name to be protected to ensure that there is an online
reputation to protect.  One can imagine some organizations might request the
protection for only one short name or acronym instead of several lists of
names.  We might even consider protection mechanisms that are not blanket
reserved lists, but allow an organization to apply to individual TLDs for
reservation of their names where the organization judges the risk for confusion
is highest.

But it's difficult to do this without being clear about what we are trying to
do.

Sincerely,
Claudia