ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Proposed protection matrix - to be discussed during the next call

  • To: "Claudia MACMASTER TAMARIT" <MACMASTER@xxxxxxx>, Thomas Rickert <rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Proposed protection matrix - to be discussed during the next call
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 13:40:06 +0000

I am fine with approach Claudia suggests in here first paragraph but I have
thoughts about the following descriptions.

" organizations with global reach and extraordinary public service that face
the risk of abuse of their names in the upcoming expansion of the DNS "
- Judging what is 'extraordinary public service' will require subjective
judgments; we would have to make some subjective decisions in developing
criteria; who would be the judge?
- Judging 'abuse' may also involve subjectivity; one persons abuse is another's
free speech; we would have to be careful not to get into content, which would
be beyond ICANN's and the GNSO's remit.

"it is in the public interest to avoid or reduce confusion and fraud
experienced by the public by illegitimate or unauthorized uses of such
organizations'"
- I agree with this statement but believe that it applies to all registrations,
not just some subset of names, so I don't think it is very helpful for tasks.
- To the extent that there are international treaties that define 'illegitimate
or unauthorized', we would have an objective basis for determine that.

" the Internet community deserves a clear rationale for a grant of special
protection"
- I completely agree with this but think that our rationale must be as
objective as possible, i.e., minimize subjectivity.

Chuck