ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

[gnso-igo-ingo] Durban Public Discussion Session Format

  • To: GNSO IGO INGO <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-igo-ingo] Durban Public Discussion Session Format
  • From: Brian Peck <brian.peck@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 10:01:23 -0700

Dear WG Members,

First of all, for those of you traveling to Durban, wish everyone safe
travels and looking forward to seeing and working with you during the
Meeting.

With regard to the IGO/INGO public discussion session in Durban, as we
discussed during our last WG call, we have been provided the opportunity to
utilize XPLANE during the Durban Meeting, an outside professional meeting
facilitation and mediation provider.

After consulting with them on our agreed-upon objectives including having an
interactive dialogue with the community, we have asked XPLANE to facilitate
this session for us with a different format from the moderated discussion we
originally envisioned.  Please find attached a brief power point
presentation from XPLANE on how we will host this session.  As you can see,
the substance of the four issues/questions and relevant propositions the WG
agreed upon remain the same ­ however, in order to encourage feedback and
discussion with the community, we will have the community and WG members
present break up into four groups to rotate and discuss each of the four
issues/propositions in separate 12 minute segments, with a read-out period
at the end.  Each issue "station" will have an XPLANE professional and ICANN
staff present to facilitate discussion on that issue.  The four staff
members will be Marika Konings, Mary Wong, Berry Cobb and myself.  The
session will begin with an introduction and summary of the issues being
considered by the WG.  The attached presentation from XPLANE will hopefully
make this explanation more clear.

We are also planning to have XPLANE attend the F2F WG meeting on Monday and
do the same exercise with the WG members, which will give the WG another
opportunity to see the idea behind the format and allow for any small tweaks
that are deemed necessary. Given that the objective of the public discussion
session is to facilitate community feedback and an interactive discussion to
help guide the WG in reaching consensus on a set of policy recommendations,
we hope that everyone will find trying this new approach worthwhile.  Please
let us know if you have any questions, thanks.

Best Regards,

Brian

Brian Peck
Policy Director