ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

[gnso-igo-ingo] Consensus and a minority stmt.

  • To: "GNSO IGO INGO (gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx)" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-igo-ingo] Consensus and a minority stmt.
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 10:55:46 +0200

hi,

Personally I accept the consensus determination made by Thomas.  I can also see
the point that those who want the call changed on a few points.  Pretty much I
am ambivalent on these points.  I think the results are a pity, but they are
what they are.

As most know, I strongly object to the addition of some many names to the
reserved list.  I will not, however be posting a minority opinion on this, I
accept that GAC has won this point despite the fact that this was unnecessary
given the existence on objection and RPMs.

I also strongly support waiving fees for IGO and INGO to use these objection
and  RPM methods.  But will not file an minority statement on that either.  I
accept that ICANN is run by commercials interests and understand that their
unwillingness to grant such waivers is another fact of life at ICANN at this
point in time.  It is sad, but what are you going to.  A minority opinion that
says we should be recognize  the financial constraints of service organizations
would be lost in the hurly burly of massive profit making by all and sundry.

It is posible that some others within the NCSG will file minority opinions, but
I personally won't do so.

I will however, file two minority statements:

- one the nature of reserved names.
- one on the treatment of reserved names already registered by incumbent
registries

----

The following is my first draft of the minority statement on reserved names:

There appears to be a consensus in the IGO-INGO WG to provide special
protections for IGOs, INGO, the RCRC and even the IOC at the second level.
While I beleive this is unfortunate, it does seem to be the accepted. This
means that the reserved names list will grow exponentially by 1 or possibly 2
orders of magnitude.

Buried within this increase in the size of the reserved name list is the
recommendation for an exemption that would allow for these reserved names to be
registered under some circumstances, such as by the organization to whom it is
related or by someone who gets permission to register from the relevant IGO or
IGNO.

I beleive that this notion of an exemption is a fertile ground for abuse that
has not be adequately studied by this working group; I admit such a discussion
is difficult.  I also beleive that any such exemption procedure essentially
creates a new kind of reserved name that is not been adequately understood and
for which there are no policy recommendations on how it should be implemented.

My minority opinion is that exceptions for the registration of the reserved
names be postponed until such time as there has been a PDP on reserved names
and the process by which exceptions might be made.  In the meantime, my
minority recommendation is that these names be treated as names currently on
the reserved names are treated, i.e. the only way for such names to be
registered as domain names, except for the few  at the second level is through
the Registry Service Evaluation Process (RSEP) process.

----

The following is the first draft of my minority statement on the treatment of
reserved names already registered by incumbent registries

The recommendations extend the expanded reserved names list to the incumbent
registries.  Quite reasonably registrant who already have these names will be
allowed to keep them and for any abuse to be handled under the enhanced RPMs as
recommended by WG.  My minority view extends to what happens when the
registrant of such a reserved names wishes to sell or otherwise transfer the
name to another registrant. Allowing such a transfer goes against the nature of
the reserved names list and opens an avenue for abuse.

My recommendation is that all names added to the reserved names list  be
blocked from sale/transfer to a new registrant at least until such time as a
PDP on reserved names has considered the issue in the light of their possible
changes to the nature of reserved names.

----

thanks

avri