ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Proposed Agenda - IGO-INGO Meeting 30 Oct 2013

  • To: Berry Cobb <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Proposed Agenda - IGO-INGO Meeting 30 Oct 2013
  • From: "Claudia MACMASTER TAMARIT" <MACMASTER@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 14:53:21 +0000

Dear colleagues,

We would just like to state for the record we strongly oppose the use of
"Divergence" regarding our WG position as to whether acronyms should be blocked
for any international organization.

The definition simply does not suit when there is consensus against the
position of blocking acronyms.  (A consensus which appears to be shared in the
public comments.)

  *   Divergence (also referred to as No Consensus) - a position where there
isn't strong support for any particular position, but many (two or more)
different points of view. Sometimes this is due to irreconcilable differences
of opinion and sometimes it is due to the fact that no one has a particularly
strong or convincing viewpoint, but the members of the group agree that it is
worth listing the issue in the report nonetheless.**

We are deeply concerned that this mischaracterization will be misleading to the
those reading the Report, including the GNSO Council and ICANN.

If we cannot change the wording of the recommendation, then we do not see the
scope for including a recommendation which received only minority support.

We should not parse our words when making such important recommendations.

Sincerely,
Claudia (ISO)