ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Proposed Agenda - IGO-INGO Meeting 30 Oct 2013

  • To: "'Claudia MACMASTER TAMARIT'" <MACMASTER@xxxxxxx>, Berry Cobb <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Proposed Agenda - IGO-INGO Meeting 30 Oct 2013
  • From: "Shatan, Gregory S." <GShatan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 15:41:59 +0000

All:

I agree.  I think we misrepresent our conclusion as a group if we call
“consensus against” divergence.  We should be sucked into a bureaucratic
fetishization of the vocabulary of consensus to the detriment of communication
of actual facts.  Language needs to be the slave to communication, not the
other way around.

I suggest that we have the following options:

1. Remove the unsupported recommendations altogether, since they are not in
fact “recommendations” of the WG.  They should be considered discarded
recommendations.  (At one point, we had a list of such things, but it seems to
have disappeared along the way.)

2.  Change the consensus level to “Minority View,” which is defined as “a
proposal where a small number of people support the recommendation.”  This
would appear to be an accurate characterization (although it is perhaps still
not accurate to call it a “recommendation” at all).  This may open up a “can of
worms” in that other “minority views” should then also be included in the
table, which then becomes a hodgepodge of both supported recommendations and
unsupported (failed) “recommendations.”  The levels of consensus imply that
this position is generally be taken in response to a consensus level of
Divergence or above, or as a position taken by a small group where there is
neither support nor opposition by the remainder of the group.  It is not clear
whether these are the exclusive situations in which Minority View can be
stated, or are merely examples of possible scenarios.

3.  Have the majority of groups/WG members (that together make up the
“consensus against”) submit a series of “minority views” or perhaps a single
“majority view.”  I think this is absurd make-work, and will certainly slow
down the process toward finalization.

4.  Drop a footnote for each of these false “divergences” to the following
effect:

“In fact, the consensus position of the Working Group was “Consensus Against”
this particular recommendation.  However, the approved levels of consensus for
PDP Working Groups does not include “Consensus Against,” so the Working Group
felt that it was not able to formally state that the position of the Working
Group was “Consensus Against.”  Because the inverse of this recommendation was
not formally submitted for a consensus call, the Working Group felt that it
could not, as a matter of procedure, state the proposition in the negative, and
then state that the position of the Working Group was “Consensus” for the
negative of the recommendation set forth above.  In Working Groups with fewer
recommendations than those before this Group, it is highly likely that this
situation can be avoided altogether.  However, due to the number of
recommendations being considered by the Group, the Group adopted a “matrix”
approach to setting forth the recommendations under consideration.  It would
have been unwieldy and confusing to set forth the negative of each
recommendation in the matrix merely to guard against the possibility of a
“Consensus Against” result.  Therefore, the Group finds itself with a “Hobson’s
Choice” between showing the level of consensus as “consensus against” (which
does not appear to be formally available as a consensus level) and showing the
level of consensus as “Divergence” (which mischaracterizes the position of the
group).  As  the Group did not feel it had the authority to take the first
choice, it has ended up by default with the consensus level of “Divergence.”
The Working Group instructs the GNSO Council and the ICANN Board to consider
this recommendation to be not supported by the Working Group, in spite of this
formal statement of “Divergence” which the Group felt constrained to use.  The
Working Group further recommends that (a) the “Consensus Vocabulary” be
expanded to include “Consensus Against” and (b) unless and until that occurs,
future Working Groups put safeguards in place in their consensus process to
avoid this unfortunate result.”

I do not think that leaving these as “Divergence” without further explanation
is appropriate or acceptable.  Not only does it fail to represent the will of
the group, it distorts the meaning of the word “Divergence” and insults the
concept and position of true “Divergence,” where there is not strong support
for the particular recommendation or its inverse, but just a bunch of “minority
views” without a consensus against which to be a minority.

I look forward to discussing this on today’s call.

Best regards,

Greg Shatan

Gregory S. Shatan
Deputy Chair | Tech Transactions Group