ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] IGO-INGO - Final Report

  • To: Berry Cobb <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] IGO-INGO - Final Report
  • From: "Teng, Joanne" <joanne.teng@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 09:22:47 +0000

Dear colleagues,

We were dismayed to receive the below email message of November 4, 2013
regarding Section 3.5 and the change made to indicate "Consensus Against" for
General Recommendations 1 and 2.

Changing the level of support to "Consensus Against" at this very late stage is
highly inappropriate.  It is also misleading, as it masks the clear positions
in favor of top-level and second-level protections for acronyms expressed by
the OECD, UPU and WIPO throughout this Working Group process.  With these three
immediately concerned Working Group members indicating that they are in favor
of top-level and second-level protection of exact match acronym identifiers,
the level of support recorded for Recommendations 1 and 2 in Section 3.5 cannot
in good faith be characterized as "Consensus Against".

Far more than any other constituency represented in the Working Group, it is
IGOs themselves that are affected by any ICANN failure to grant the requisite
preventive protection to their names and acronyms.  IGOs strongly oppose
mis-characterization of the level of support for General Recommendations 1 and
2 as "Consensus Against", particularly in light of the Working Group
leadership's earlier statements of September 20, 2013 about the
inappropriateness of changing the terminology of the consensus scale.

Each member of this Working Group is aware that there is no actual "Consensus
Against".  Given their stake, the three IGO Working Group members have an
entirely reasonable expectation that this lack of consensus be accurately
reflected in the Final Report as "Divergence" as was originally done by the
Chair.  A failure to do so would diminish the credibility of the Final Report
on this issue (and indeed, the Working Group leadership itself has recently
argued that "a last minute change to the consensus levels might let the process
appear not having been reliable"), and the three IGOs will not fail to point
this out to the GNSO Council, the ICANN Board and other stakeholders.

We look forward to hearing the Working Group leadership's response.

Best regards,

WIPO, OECD, UPU

Jo Teng and Berly Lelievre Acosta on behalf of the Working Group
representatives from WIPO, OECD and UPU