ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-improvements-report-2008]

A GNSO Restructuring Plan

  • To: gnso-improvements-report-2008@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: A GNSO Restructuring Plan
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 06:19:21 -0700 (PDT)

When I think about restructuring the GNSO I begin by
asking myself, "What broad communities should
rightfully have a seat at this table"?

As I look around I see four distinct communities that
have a stake in the process:

1.   Community:  Providers of Registration and
Connectivity Services
     a. Registries
     b. Registrars
     c. Resellers, Hosting Companies/ISPs

2.   Community:  Business
     a. Big Business & their Intellectual Property
Attorneys
     b. Small Business & domainers

3.   Community:  Law Enforcement & Security Interests

4.   Community:  Public Interest
     a. Consumer Groups
     b. Civil Society Advocates
          i.    Privacy
         ii.    Freedom of Speech, etc.
     c. Registrant Rights Advocates

For the sake of simplicity, fairness and to minimize
council size to create a more effective body, I would
recommend 3 Council seats for each broad community.

Clearly, some constituent groups already exist as
recognized entities while others would need to be
formed.   The ICANN Board has the authority to create
new constituencies on its own motion.  It should do
so.

Be a better friend, newshound, and