ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-iocrc-dt]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-iocrc-dt] RE: Summing up Option 7

• To: "gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-iocrc-dt] RE: Summing up Option 7
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 17:19:04 -0500

Konstantinos,

I don't think that the reference to URS is in line with the wording that you propose (restrict applicability to first round and mandatory review).

The recommendation for the URS was "ICANN will conduct a review of the URS one year after the first date of operation. There is no requirement that the URS should automatically expire or terminate after any set period of time. ICANN will publish examination statistics for use in the review of the URS."

That is equivalent to saying the IOC/RC protection will be for all future rounds unless the (mandatory) review says otherwise.

The differences are substantive:

- In the URS case, it explicitly says that the URS as proposed will continue and not have a pre-determined end-date (obviously unless it is later explicitly terminated or changed). If for whatever reason, the review is not done as required (such slippages are not unheard of in ICANN, we would not be back at this point (ie a last minute crisis to satisfy the GAC) again for round 2.

- There will be data on which to base a re-evaluation. It is not clear (to me in any case) that there will be sufficient public data for the GNSO to do an evaluation.

- In the case of the URS, it is pretty certain that the process will exercised within a year (or at least, that was the expectation). In our case, it is not at all certain that there will be cases to evaluate, even if we do get data.

My preference is to review IF the perception at the time is that it is required, based on the other issues that will also inevitably need to be adjusted and their perceived relative importance. To do otherwise seems like a make-work activity that I have little taste for.

I can live with a requirement for a review as long as its delay does not trigger holding this exact WG all over again, perhaps with no more data or insight. Moreover, it is imperative that we be sure that if the GNSO is to do a review, the GNSO will have sufficient access to records to allow it to do it based on facts and not rumour. And preferably only done if there are cases to review.

Alan

At 16/02/2012 09:35 AM, Konstantinos Komaitis wrote:
Thanks for this Chuck – think it is really helpful.

I have made a couple of tweaks, specifically:

I have deleted under b) the Reserved name phrase because the way it was written it sounded as if these names were given a double status: they could be regarded as either a ‘Reserved name# or a ‘modified reserved name’ – I think we for the purposes of option 7 we were regarding them as ‘modified reserved names’

I also have incorporated a small sentence on what additional rights an applicant may have in order to apply for the string.

On a general note: I would insist that we make review of these recommendations mandatory. There is a pretty good precedent for that, re the URS where there is a provision that we should review the URS a year after its operation. In my mind, considering that this recommendations seek to reflect international statutes and conventions, it is of paramount important that we make sure they are open for a review to establish their legitimacy and appropriateness.

Thanks

Konstantinos

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy