ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-iocrc-dt]

RE: [gnso-iocrc-dt] RE: Summing up Option 7

  • To: "'Alan Greenberg'" <greenberg.alan@xxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-iocrc-dt] RE: Summing up Option 7
  • From: Konstantinos Komaitis <k.komaitis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 10:00:25 +0000

Alan,

You are making here two mistaken: first, I didn't propose any specific
language. I was saying that there is precedent regarding a review of a new
mechanism that has been created for new gTDLs and we should use this precedent
to our advantage. That's all. And, second, you are suggesting that for a review
to happen there needs to be some sort of a data. This is a somehow narrow
interpretation of what a review is meant to do. The new gTLDs are, amongst
other things, about providing options and, if we like it or not, the current
discussions about IOC/Red Cross, minimize these options for certain communities
and governments. At some point, the ICANN community will have to consider
whether the recommendations of this group have limited the options for these
parties; a review can do that.

I will also like to reiterate the precedent that these protections might set
and the possibility for other intergovernmental organizations to come and seek
the same levels of protection. The ICANN Board may have limited this only to
IOC and the Red Cross but no one can be certain whether ICANN will continue to
do so, especially if pressure is exercised upon it by other IGOs. Remember that
as far back as in 2003, IGOs wanted to get special protection for their names -
back then it was more difficult because there was no precedent; I suspect that
after the recommendations for these two entities come out and especially if
they provide them with a special status, there will be a much stronger
justification. So, yes, I think we should make the review of these
recommendations mandatory. As for the language, I will leave that to the entire
group to draft.

Thanks

Konstantinos

Dr. Konstantinos Komaitis,

Senior Lecturer,
Director of Postgraduate Instructional Courses
Director of LLM Information Technology and Telecommunications Law
University of Strathclyde,
The Law School,
Graham Hills building,
50 George Street, Glasgow G1 1BA