ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-iocrc-dt]

RE: [gnso-iocrc-dt] Adobe Connect - Chat Transcript from International Olympic Committee and Red Cross Names

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>, "gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-iocrc-dt] Adobe Connect - Chat Transcript from International Olympic Committee and Red Cross Names
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 19:08:34 +0000

Avri,

Please see my responses below.

Chuck

[Gomes, Chuck] Thanks for clarifying Avri.  I guess just about every GNSO WG
has this problem from time to time.  In our case, the RrSG is the only SG that
has not been represented.

> As for additional questions now that we building a list I think we need
> to also ask:
>
> 3. Should the consideration of new protections at the second level also
> take into account the other organizations who have indicated a need for
> such protections, a set of global public service institutions all of
> whom have their own excellent reasons for thinking they merit/need such
> special protections.
[Gomes, Chuck] I don't see how this relates to the task of the DT.  It
certainly relates to the PDP.

> 4. If it is reasonable to consider only 2 global public service
> organizations for such considerations:  Since the IFRC and IOC each
> have their own sui generis reasons for why they merit such protections,
> should the question be divided; i.e. deal with the IFRC and the IOC
> names at the second level as separate critical sui generis issues.
[Gomes, Chuck] How does this relate to the task of the DT?  As I understand our
role, it is to propose a response to the GAC letter regarding just the two
organizations.  If the Council directs us otherwise, we could expand our work.

> On issue 4, if I understood the discussion yesterday of what they each
> needed, they did not sound like they were even asking for the same
> thing.
[Gomes, Chuck] This would be good for us to clarify.

> 5. What sort of evidence and benchmarks do the SG and Constituencies
> consider adequate for judging the extraordinary nature of the need.
[Gomes, Chuck] This seems reasonable to ask.

> A question I would like to see, but my hopes are low for:
>
> x. Should the Drafting team be considering a response to the GAC that
> indicates that work will continue using the "defined processes of the
> GNSO" as opposed to continuing such important considerations in a
> hurried and ad-hoc manner to reach a quick answer.
[Gomes, Chuck] I am personally okay with adding this question because it
relates to the task given the DT.