ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-iocrc-dt]

[gnso-iocrc-dt] IOC Position on DT Recommendations

  • To: "gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-iocrc-dt] IOC Position on DT Recommendations
  • From: Jim Bikoff <jbikoff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 20:24:15 +0000

Dear Jeff and all,

For the record, the IOC supports the IPC position, which reads:

The IPC does not believe that a PDP is necessary.  We feel that the purpose of
the DT was to refine implementation details to enact the GAC advice concerning
additional protections for the IOC/RC names on the first and second levels.  In
fact, we did make specific recommendations with regard to additional
protections on the top level.

Unfortunately, there is no consensus in the DT to provide the same type of
recommendations on the second level.  In contrast, the rough consensus is that
the DT should recommend a PDP.  While we disagree with this position, we
believe it is an acceptable compromise to accede to the recommendation for a
PDP so long as there is a temporary reservations of the IOC/RC names on the
second level pending the outcome of the recommended PDP.

Thanks to you, Jeff and everyone on the drafting team for their hard work on
this issue.  We look forward to participating further in any discussions
relating to the protection of the IOC words on the top and second level of the
new gTLD program.

Best regards,

Jim

James L. Bikoff