ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-iocrc-dt]

[gnso-iocrc-dt] RE: MP3 IGO-INGO Protections Policy Development Process (PDP) Working Group - 7 November 2012

  • To: Julia Charvolen <julia.charvolen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-iocrc-dt] RE: MP3 IGO-INGO Protections Policy Development Process (PDP) Working Group - 7 November 2012
  • From: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 07:22:24 -0800

Yes please to the other address

gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx

thanks

Glen de Saint Géry

GNSO Secretariat

gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://gnso.icann.org

From: Julia Charvolen
Sent: jeudi 8 novembre 2012 09:56
To: Glen de Saint Géry
Subject: FW: MP3 IGO-INGO Protections Policy Development Process (PDP)
Working Group - 7 November 2012

Hello Glen,

I sent the MP3 to  <mailto:gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx> gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx

Is there another email I should have sent it to?

Thank you,

Julia

From: Julia Charvolen <julia.charvolen@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "gnso-secs@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-secs@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: MP3 IGO-INGO Protections Policy Development Process (PDP) Working
Group - 7 November 2012

Dear All,

The next call for the IGO-INGO Protections Policy Development Process (PDP)
Working Group is scheduled on 14 November 2012 at 19:00 UTC.

Please find the MP3 recording of the IGO-INGO Protections Policy Development
Process (PDP) Working Group  teleconference held on Wednesday 7 November
2012  at 1900 UTC at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-igo-ingo-20121107-en.mp3

On page: http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#
<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#sep> nov

Calendar page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/> http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees

Alan Greenberg – ALAC

Jonathan Robinson - RySG

Jeff Neuman -  Registry SG group leader

Lanre Ajayi - Nominating Committee Appointee

Alan Greenberg – ALAC

Osvaldo Novao -ISPC

Chuck Gomes - RySG

Kiran Malancharuvil – IPC

Jim Bikoff – IPC

Catherine Gribbin – Canadian Red Cross

Brett Faussett – IPC

Kiran Malancharuvil - IPC

Donna Austin – Ausregistry

Osvaldo Novoa – ISPCP

Iliya Bazlyankov – RrSG

Christopher Rassi – Red Cross

David Maher – RySG

Donna Austin – RySG

Stephane Hankins - IPC

Elizabeth Finberg - IPC

Apology :

Mary W.S Wong - NCSG

Debra Hughes – Red Cross

Thomas Rickert - Nominating Committee Appointee

Wolfgang Kleinwachter – NCUC

Gregory Shatan – IPC

J.Scott Evans - IPC

ICANN Staff:

Margie Milam

Brian Peck

Berry Cobb

Glen De Saint Géry

Julia Charvolen

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Julia Charvolen

For GNSO Secretariat

Adobe Chat Transcript:

Berry Cobb:Welcome to the 7 NOV IOC-RCRC / IGO-INGO Conference Call.

  Berry Cobb:Please note that this is a split meeting.  We will cover
IOC-RCRC for the first 45 min.

  Berry Cobb:We ask only participants of the IOC-RCRC DT participate in the
first session, but all are welcome to listen in.

  Chuck Gomes (Verisign):I am on the call

  Kiran Malancharuvil:Hi All.  For attendance purposes, I'm joined by David
Heasley

  Osvaldo Novoa:sorry I got cut out. I'm back now

  Osvaldo Novoa 2:I apologize for my duplicated connection, I have a problem
with my laptop so I'm also connected with my iPad.

  Alan Greenberg:sorry to be late. calling in now.

  Alan Greenberg:as soon as a coordinator assists me momentarily.

  Berry Cobb:
<http://forum.icann.org/lists/ioc-rcrc-recommendations/msg00014.html>
http://forum.icann.org/lists/ioc-rcrc-recommendations/msg00014.html

  Berry Cobb:We should just remove reference to UN6

  Kiran Malancharuvil:I agree

  Kiran Malancharuvil:That is correct Alan, the GAC request more than what
ended up in the AGB

  Kiran Malancharuvil:*requested

  Berry
Cobb:https://gacweb.icann.org/download/attachments/1540128/GAC+advice+on+IOC
+and+Red+Cross+Sep.+2011.pdf?version=1
<https://gacweb.icann.org/download/attachments/1540128/GAC+advice+on+IOC+and
+Red+Cross+Sep.+2011.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1317031625000>
&modificationDate=1317031625000

  Berry Cobb:Schedule A contains the list from the GAC.

  Kiran Malancharuvil:Thanks Berry

  Kiran Malancharuvil:Thank YOU Jeff!

  Berry Cobb:I will send out to the list later today the members of the WG.
It will also show who has submitted their SOI and who has not.

  Bret Fausett, Uniregistry:no objection

  Kiran Malancharuvil:no objection

  David Maher:I regret that I cannot participate in this discussion.
Construction is going on in an adjacent office and i must remain on Mute

  David Maher:I agree w/ Chuck

  Donna Austin:What is the risk to the IOC of keeping the two groups
together?

  David Maher:What if every member of  the WG joins both subgroups?

  Kiran Malancharuvil:Donna - I don't understand what you mean my "risk,"
but the issue is one of time and resources wasted on revisiting from scratch
an issue that has been beaten to death over the last few years.

  Kiran Malancharuvil:David - would that be a problem?

  David Maher:Not that I see

  Kiran Malancharuvil:I agree.

  Margie Milam:thats right-- that was the staff perspective....

  Kiran Malancharuvil:Alan - the Subgroup A will expedite that issue and be
done quickly.  THey would not run parallel for long.

  Bret Fausett, Uniregistry:I agree with Alan's point. There is a great deal
of overlap between the subjects. Makes more sense to work just once.

  Alan Greenberg:@ Kiran, all the more reason that there is no need to
divide. But I am not at all sure that your scenario is how it will play out,

  Kiran Malancharuvil:how do you figure that is a reason not to divide?  if
you bog down consideration of the IOC Red Cross issue with the larger issue
on which much work is needed, how does that allow the issue to be expedited?

  David Maher:I wish I could speak, but the construction noise would make it
impossible for anyone to hear me

  David Maher:that's correct

  Alan Greenberg:@KIran, if the workload for RCRC/IOC is substantive, it
will be a heavy load to have the two groups working in parallel, if it is
not substantive, it will not slow down the overall work.

  Kiran Malancharuvil:the susbtantive work has already been done Alan.

  Osvaldo Novoa:I agree with the proposal

  Bret Fausett, Uniregistry:I don't believe that all the work has been done
yet. Even assuming that the IOC/RC are entitled to special protections, we
need to decide what those special protections are and how they will be
implemented.

  Bret Fausett, Uniregistry:We use the phrase special protection a lot, but
it doesn't have an agreed meaning yet.

  Donna Austin:Is there an assumption that because GAC advice has been
provided that means that the work has been done. Please excuse my ignorance
on this, I'm a latecomer on this group.

  Alan Greenberg:@Kiran: doing them serially or interlaced than will not be
a problem.

  Kiran Malancharuvil:Alan, we are like two ships passing in the night.

  Kiran Malancharuvil::)

  Kiran Malancharuvil:Donna - GAC advice is not the sole basis on our
opinion that we have done the work.  It's also the unredacted board paper
with inside and outside counsel opinion, and over a year of discussion with
the GNSO including presentation by both the IOC and Red Cross.

  Donna Austin:Thanks Kiran

  Kiran Malancharuvil:Why not say "the group can consider the following"

  Berry Cobb:Just to point out.  If we do not get the Charter agreed upon
today, the next GNSO Council meeting is not scheduled until 20 DEC 2012.

  Kiran Malancharuvil:What about:  "Without duplicating work that has
already been done by the IOC/RCRC DT, the group may consider the following."

  Berry Cobb:proposed change.... "** Given commitment to expedite the PDP
process, an effort should be taken to avoid duplication of past efforts with
respect to IOC-RCRC"

  Kiran Malancharuvil:NOT THE GROUP WILL

  Kiran Malancharuvil:the group MAY

  Bret Fausett, Uniregistry:We are going to AVOID the duplication of work
and we MAY consider the Arvri list of subjects.

  Kiran Malancharuvil:I want to see it in writing Alan, as we often
duplicate efforts in ICANN.

  Bret Fausett, Uniregistry:I agree with Alan's statement. I don't want to
duplicate any work. At the same time, I don't believe we should cede to
previous groups the policy decisions we are asked to examine.

  David Maher:I agree

  David Maher:I also agree w/ jeff's point

  Elizabeth Finberg 2:I agree with Jeff's point, as well.

  Alan Greenberg:@Jeff +1

  Jonathan Robinson:@Jeff +1

  David Maher:Not only am I unable to speak, I can only hear the proceedings
part of the time because of construction noise. Sorry

  Alan Greenberg:Will consider is good wording

  Jeff Neuman:All - i need to drop.  I will trust Chuck, David, Elizabeth
and the other registries to speak for me.

  Jeff Neuman:thanks everyone

  Elizabeth Finberg 2:sorry, my call just dropped.

  Berry Cobb:** Given the commitment to expedite the PDP process, the WG
will consider the work and documents produced by the IOC-RCRC DT, but an
effort should be taken to avoid duplication of past efforts with respect to
IOC-RCRC

  David Maher:I think Jeff dropped off

  David Maher:are we going to consider the legal question that I sent to the
group?

  Elizabeth Finberg 2:I agree with Chguck.  stop after the comma

  Berry Cobb:** Given the commitment to expedite the PDP process, the WG
will consider the work and documents produced by the IOC-RCRC DT.

  Chuck Gomes (Verisign):We should consider the legal question after the
charter

  Bret Fausett, Uniregistry:That sounds right Berry.

  Elizabeth Finberg 2:acceptable to me

  Jonathan Robinson:I have to leave the call now.  Apologies and thanks all.

  David Maher:OK by me

  Berry Cobb:** Given the commitment to expedite the PDP process, the WG
will consider the work and documents produced/used by the IOC-RCRC DT.

  David Maher:no objection

  Berry Cobb:** Given the commitment to expedite the PDP process, the WG
will consider the work and documents used by the IOC-RCRC DT.

  Berry Cobb:** Given the commitment to expedite the PDP process, the WG
will consider the work and documents used by the IOC-RCRC DT with regard to
the IOC-RCRC terms.

  David Maher:it's not part of the charter

  Osvaldo Novoa:I can do it if you want

  Osvaldo Novoa:sorry I have to leave now

  Chuck Gomes (Verisign):David - are you able to talk about the legal
request

  David Maher:no

  David Maher:It is different, and I don't believe the other review that
Alan mentioned is worth making.

  Berry Cobb:Brian, what did you want me to post to AC?

  David Maher:All that will happen is to get a lot of conflicting opinions.

  David Maher:The fundamental question is the one that the RySG has
proposed.

  David Maher:We know all we nned to know about the existence of the
treaties and statutes. The question is whether ICANN is undeer any
obligation under those treaties and statutes.

  David Maher:+1 chuck

  Elizabeth Finberg 2:I agree

  David Maher:+1 chuck

  David Maher:The unredacted opinion does not answer the qeustions.

  Kiran Malancharuvil:because the term INGO is way broader than just the IOC
and RCRC I think we do specifically need to cite the two organizations

  Alan Greenberg:I am assuming that they do not know of such laws, otherwise
we surely should have been alerted to them already!!

  David Maher:That's a logical assumption

  Alan Greenberg:If the converse is true, one must question why we were not
told of them.

  David Maher:and it would be useless

  Elizabeth Finberg 2:agree.  focus should be on policy.

  Chuck Gomes (Verisign):thanks Margie

  Chuck Gomes (Verisign):Thanks Brian & Berry all all

  David Maher:+1