ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

RE: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Some definitions & concepts to inform our work

  • To: "Olof Nordling" <olof.nordling@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Some definitions & concepts to inform our work
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 08:43:03 -0700

Perhaps the term Account Holder is better. From our perspective, the
Account Holder may be authorized by the Registered Name Holder to accept
the Registration Agreement on their behalf. However, nowhere does the
Account Holder otherwise enter into the scheme of things except as
another possible contact for the Registrar to resolve certain issues. So
I suggest the following modified definitions:

1. REGISTRANT: The Registered Name Holder as defined in the RAA.

2. ACCOUNT HOLDER: The person or entity that has access to the
Registrar account and/or domain management system, and may have
accepted the Registration Agreement on behalf of the Registrant.
Note that this person or entity is often the same as that listed
as the "Registrant", but is not required to be.

3. CHANGE OF REGISTRANT: The Account Holder or Registrant assigns
the domain name registration to another entity. This may include
changing other contacts (Admin, Tech, Billing) but the focus here
is on the Registrant. Changes to WHOIS records that do not modify
the identity of the Registrant do not constitute a Change Of
Registrant.

4. CHANGE OF ACCOUNT: The Account Holder moves the domain name
registration to another account at the same registrar without
changing the identity of the Registrant.

5. TRANSFER: The Registrant or Admin Contact authorizes transfer
of the domain name registration to a different Registrar. This
operation is defined and governed by the existing IRTP Consensus
Policy.

Tim