ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

RE: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Expedited Transfer Reverse Policy (eTRP) (Draft)

  • Subject: RE: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Expedited Transfer Reverse Policy (eTRP) (Draft)
  • From: "Mike Rodenbaugh" <icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:53:25 -0700

Thanks James and team for the thoughtful work.  However I think this raises
more questions for me than it solves at this point:

--  Should we suggest a minimum verification protocol here?             3.4.2
Documentation that the PTRr has verified the identity of the pre-transfer
registrant, in a manner conforming to local law and practices.

--  Section 3.6, why delete the requirement to restore the NS?

--  Seems there must be a mechanism for the newly-gaining Registrar/Registrant
to object to the eTRP transfer-back?  What if there is proof of written
authorization from the prior registrant?  That situation seems to unravel this
entire process and make it a potentially very bad idea to implement.  "Cold
feet" cannot be enough to reverse a previously authorized transfer 60 days
later, so what mechanisms can we suggest to ensure the eTRP cannot be used for
that purpose?

--  Section 4.14, how would the PTRr know if litigation was pending anywhere in
the world?

--  Section 4.3, "fraudulent" is a very loaded legal term, requiring proof of
at least five elements under US law, varying in other countries.  It can be
criminal and/or civil.  It ought not be proved merely by the self-serving
declaration of the alleged victim, so again, how do we prevent abuse of this
system?

--  Section 4.4, seems to give registrars far too much discretion, which most
of them I believe do not even want to have, as it can subject them to liability.

So, maybe I am back to square one on this issue, what is the harm we are trying
to solve, how has it been documented to date, and is this really the best way
to mitigate it without causing a much bigger problem?

Mike Rodenbaugh
RODENBAUGH LAW
tel/fax:  +1 (415) 738-8087
http://rodenbaugh.com