ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

RE: [SPAM] [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] GoDaddy holding domains "hostage" via so-called "opt-in" procedures?

  • To: "Michael Collins" <mc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "George Kirikos" <icann@xxxxxxxx>, <Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [SPAM] [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] GoDaddy holding domains "hostage" via so-called "opt-in" procedures?
  • From: "Matt Mansell" <matt.mansell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 15:10:54 +0100

Hi Michael

>> . The majority of the group prefer leaving this and other security
measures up to the registrar.
I'm in support of leaving this to registrars to decide.

Whilst we like our friends at Go Daddy and fully understand why they do
it,  this policy creates an effective monopoly of customers stuck in
this loop they can't get out of.  ICANN has two remits, promoting
competition and protecting security. I'm surprised such a level of
anti-compete has been allowed to run for so long as what is essentially
a breach of the transfer policy, albeit dodged with technicalities.

I listened to a call from our support guys the other day (One of many
I'm told) from a perfectly pleasant single domain owner who had wasted
an afternoon trying to deal with her transfer to us. The end conclusion
was quite literally that she was told only "Bob Parsons" could remove
this 60 day lock despite her request to have it removed.

I'm of the opinion that ICANN should take action against such a policy,
at the very least to help the 99% of good consumers who are being caught
up in this and locked to a registrar they don't want to be.

I very much understand the balanced argument here, but wholeheartedly
wouldn't support its imposed use to the industry persay.

Rgds, Matt