ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

Re: [SPAM] [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] GoDaddy holding domains "hostage" via so-called "opt-in" procedures?

  • To: Matt Mansell <matt.mansell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [SPAM] [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] GoDaddy holding domains "hostage" via so-called "opt-in" procedures?
  • From: George Kirikos <icann@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 14:58:48 -0400

Hi Matt,

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:10 AM, Matt Mansell
<matt.mansell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Whilst we like our friends at Go Daddy and fully understand why they do
> it,  this policy creates an effective monopoly of customers stuck in
> this loop they can't get out of.  ICANN has two remits, promoting
> competition and protecting security. I'm surprised such a level of
> anti-compete has been allowed to run for so long as what is essentially
> a breach of the transfer policy, albeit dodged with technicalities.

Agreed. I've stood up for GoDaddy, as they're generally one of the
"good guys", but not with this ETRP or hostage policy in the name of
"security." (or not doing enough to protect registrants and due
process in the URS under the IRT, as they likely know).

> I listened to a call from our support guys the other day (One of many
> I'm told) from a perfectly pleasant single domain owner who had wasted
> an afternoon trying to deal with her transfer to us. The end conclusion
> was quite literally that she was told only "Bob Parsons" could remove
> this 60 day lock despite her request to have it removed.

She was misinformed, if that's what she was told. I've had no problem
getting the GoDaddy 60-day lock waived in the past, because I know who
to "ask nicely." But, hey, why should I even have to ask? I don't like
to have to beg for "special treatment" -- it should be there for
everyone. Good security should be there for everyone (i.e. all the
proactive security measures, 2-factor, out-of-band notifications, that
people know about for 5 years, or even the VeriSign lock).

> I'm of the opinion that ICANN should take action against such a policy,
> at the very least to help the 99% of good consumers who are being caught
> up in this and locked to a registrar they don't want to be.

Just to show I'm also pragmatic, recall that there was some "debate"
when one of the registrars unilaterally locked all client domains (I
think it was around the time EPP codes were introduced, several years
ago). Was it NSI? I can't remember...in any event, I said to others,
Tucows should do the same! (that's my "home" registrar, where all my
domains eventually end up) Lock 'em all down (as long as it's easy to
get the EPP code, unlock, etc.). I think nearly every registrar did
just that. It was a one time event. That was a simple pragmatic step
that unilaterally raised everyone's security, with little if any
collateral damage.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
416-588-0269