ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Re: Impact of "Voluntarily" language on 60 day lock following registrant change

  • To: "Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx List" <Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Re: Impact of "Voluntarily" language on 60 day lock following registrant change
  • From: George Kirikos <icann@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 13:09:42 -0400

Hi again,

As I had a question from someone off list, the following additional
details might help ICANN (and the working group) in their analysis.

In my post I reference the definition of "voluntary"

"acting or done of one's own free will ***without valuable
consideration or legal obligation***"

Note the latter part, which is really referencing an agreement or
*contract.* (i.e. what GoDaddy is relying upon to *bind* someone, i.e.
not making it voluntary)

And here's the "smoking gun" that goes directly to that issue which
was in a transcript from 2009 (where GoDaddy was trying to explain the
policy):

http://syd.icann.org/files/meetings/sydney2009/transcript-irtp-b-brainstorming-session-21jun09-en.pdf

"And so, one thing is we want to make sure that we have a registration
agreement in place with the new registrant. So, we have a process that
you go through if you're going to do that, that both the losing
registrant and the gaining registrant is made aware of the fact that
this is a service that we're going to provide to you. We provide it
free under the condition that once completed, the domain name, you
agree that you won't transfer the domain name for 60 days.
And then we explain if that's not going to work for you, the option is
transfer the domain name first and then complete the change of
ownership at the new registrar. And so, if they complete the process,
they've been fully informed and then the domain name is held locked
for 60 days."
" (page 18, Tim Ruiz)

Note words like:

"a service we're going to provide to you" = legal consideration
"under the condition"
"you agree"

And also what the alternative is "if that's not going to work for you"
-- transfer it elsewhere. So, it's a classic "take it or leave it"
contract of adhesion, not negotiable by two equal parties. The promise
not to transfer is an integral part of the binding agreement, and is
not some "voluntary" after thought.

In other words, one simply can't do the registrant change at GoDaddy
unless you also supposedly "opt-in" "voluntarily" to their 60-day
lock. That's clearly not "voluntary" under the definition of the word
above. There's both valuable consideration and a *legal obligation*
attached to the agreement to the 60-day lock, which means it's not
voluntary.

George Kirikos
416-588-0269
http://www.leap.com/