ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Work Schedule

  • Subject: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Work Schedule
  • From: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 08:55:40 -0700

Michele and Team:

Now that I've had a little while to consider our teleconference, I'd
like to go on record as Opposing any delays, extension of comment
periods, etc.

Reasoning:

*  As Marika and others have pointed out, ICANN is a deadline-oriented
community.  Extending the comment period doesn't necessarily mean we'll
receive more or better responses, since most folks will simply post on
the due date.  (I'm notoriously guilty of this myself!)

*  We shouldn't be so quick to defer to other issues currently in the
spotlight (e.g. New gTLDs), if only because once these fade, another hot
topic will certainly take it's place (VI, dot-XXX, etc.).  If anything,
we should be -protective- of whatever slice of attention we can garner.

*  The work of IRTP-B is a prerequisite for other working groups in the
IRTP Series, and I'm concerned that a delay of days or weeks in any
single WG could cascade in to weeks or months added to the overall
Series timeline.

*  I empathize with those wanting to wait until after Labor Day / Early
September, but this isn't always practical in a multi-national
organization, where nearly every day is a holiday -somewhere-.  Some
folks have pointed out that there was a VI call on July 5th, meaning the
Americans on the group either sacrificed a few hours of their holiday,
or sent their apologies.

In short, I think we need to preserve (and create) momentum wherever
possible.  This is one of the more functional WGs within ICANN, and I'd
hate for it to lose its sense of urgency.

Thanks!