ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

RE: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] IRTP - Recommendations #3 & #4

  • To: <Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] IRTP - Recommendations #3 & #4
  • From: "Berry Cobb" <berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 21:39:33 -0800

Fair enough.  While unanimity may be rare, it is not impossible.  The result
of the RAP WG is a decent example where much agreement was found.

There is no middle ground for recommendation #3.  How can we call this Rough
Consensus, when the last poll on this Recommendation for our Interim Report
achieved Unanimous Consensus?  If anything about this recommendation will be
taken out of context, it will be a result of downgrading a recommendation to
Rough Consensus when all members polled originally supported the
recommendation.  If stakeholders of this WG do not want this recommendation
to move forward, then I support polling of our final recommendation.  I
would rather kick this back to the Council as "Strong Support & Significant
Opposition" or "No Consensus" rather than fool the community of a Rough
Consensus designation even though no WG member chose to reject it.

Michele &/or Marika, with respect to the WG's final proposed recommendations
will we be taking one last polling of consensus on the recommendations for
publish in the final report?  If I recall correctly from RAP, we conducted
this exercise and published WG results in the final report.  I trust we will
do the same here.  I feel it will be important to understand and document
the outcomes so that the community is fully informed of deliberations and
results of the WG.

Thank you.  B

Berry Cobb
Infinity Portals LLC