ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

RE: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] revised draft of the EAC language

  • To: <Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] revised draft of the EAC language
  • From: "Berry Cobb" <berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 22:27:16 -0700

I can support the 4 hour response time, but a "severity 1" type of expectation
can often be difficult to achieve after initial deployment.  The consequence as
noted in the v5 draft is or can be structured to be quite stiff......"Failure
to respond to an EAC request will result in a transfer-undo in accordance with
Section 6 of this policy and may also result in further action by ICANN, up to
and including non-renewal or termination of accreditation."

May I suggest we build in a buffer, so-to-speak.  Option 1 could be to start at
24 hours for the first 30 days, and then tighten the requirement over 90 days
down to 4 hours.  Or, Option 2 might be the 4 hour window is defined as an SLO
(Service Level Objective) for the first 90 days (meaning that there is no
consequence for losing accreditation etc) and beyond the 90 day window the SLO
matures in to the formal SLA.  Either method allows for some monitoring of the
service before it is fully baked contractually.

I suppose this design falls within implementation phase upon approved policy
changes if any, but my past experiences of deploying services at the tier 1
layer often fall over each other out of the gate.

Hats off to Mikey and James for the latest EAC draft!

Berry Cobb
Infinity Portals LLC
berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://infinityportals.com