ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtpc]

RE: [gnso-irtpc] Chat transcript IRTP Part C F2F meeting

  • To: "Paul Diaz" <pdiaz@xxxxxxx>, "IRTPC Working Group" <gnso-irtpc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-irtpc] Chat transcript IRTP Part C F2F meeting
  • From: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:32:11 -0700

blue; margin-left: 8px; padding-left: 8px; font-size:10pt; color:black;
font-family:verdana;">
-------- Original Message --------<br>
Subject: Re: [gnso-irtpc] Chat transcript IRTP Part C F2F meeting<br>
From: Paul Diaz &lt;<a href="mailto:pdiaz@xxxxxxx";>pdiaz@xxxxxxx</a>&gt;<br>
Date: Thu, March 15, 2012 2:11 pm<br>
To: IRTPC Working Group &lt;<a
href="mailto:gnso-irtpc@xxxxxxxxx";>gnso-irtpc@xxxxxxxxx</a>&gt;<br>
Cc: Marika Konings &lt;<a
href="mailto:marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx";>marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx</a>&gt;<br>
Rob Golding (othello): to clarify my point/question - it _appears_ that
registries are applying their own rules/practices to the "change of registrant"
processes, but locking the domains for "a period" from inter-registrar-transfer
after certain updates - PIR/ORG appear to lock the domain for 60 days after
changes to contacts for example, we need clarification from the registries what
they do (if anything) and (a) publish that so everyone knows and (b) potetially
have it changed inline with the final report/recommendations<br>
Rob Golding (othello):such actions increase our support load in terms of
clients wanting to transfer in/out, especially in line with WDRP emails, they
login, update, and then find they cant move the domain if they want to<br>
PIR wants to clarify that we do not/not automatically lock a domain name for
60-days following a change in the registrant's contact information.  While it's
possible for the Registrar of Record to submit an EPP command to lock the
domain in such a situation, the .ORG Registry Operator does not do this as a
matter of procedure.  PIR does prevent names that were transferred under the
IRTP from bouncing to another registrar within 60 days.  This is a pro-consumer
policy, of course, and can be overridden (in conjunction with Registrar
cooperation) once the Registrant demonstrates their registration rights and
desire to move the domain name to another registrar.<br>
Regards,<br>
Paul Diaz<br>
Public Interest Registry<br>