ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtpc]

[gnso-irtpc] Comment #18

  • To: <gnso-irtpc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-irtpc] Comment #18
  • From: "Berry Cobb" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 09:21:00 -0700

Team,

In review of comment 18, the WG asked for context of the comment posted.  By
review of the transcript, it looks as though it came from Christian Mueller.

Comment:  When you change house or telephone number, you also need to
provide proof of ownership so it is not unreasonable to ask for a similar
confirmation in the context of change of registrant.

Dialogue in Prague (p9-11):

Christian Mueller: Yes, Christian Mueller from (Straddle). Okay, where are
we? First of all it was about time periods right? How long - let's start
from the back. How long should the authorization should be valid?

We think that 30 days is actually what we want to have. If it's longer, than
make it multiple of months. So don't do 45 days, 27.6 days or 62 days. But
do it 30 or 60 days.

Otherwise customers get confused because they are simple minded. Their
interest is not domain industry, but other stuff. And so they need an easy
way to calculate how long it would be valid. And that's months or - and not
fractions of months or something. Our - I would say 30 days.

Furthermore, what was the other question? Help me out with that. So what is
an update right? Was that the question?

James Bladel: Oh yes, where's the threshold for change of registrant, yes.

Christian Mueller: Yes and we'd say name or address. But not phone number,
email address or something like that. And name or address, many people argue
that name changes alone should be sufficient while address, if you are
moving, is not a good thing.

On the other hand, my name is Christian Mueller, which is obviously one of
the very common German names. I used to live on a street where we had three
Christian Mueller's on one street.

So to, you know, separate possible domain owners with street address, even
the house number in this case was significant. The important - or the nice
thing about that is I got a lot of postcards from different countries.

Hi Christian, we are now in South Africa. The weather's nice. And I'd go
what? So name alone is not sufficient. You need the - your home address. But
phone numbers, changes, updates should not be, you know, (a change of
owner).

What else? Sort of a grace period after changes we say no. So if you change
the owner wide limit, that would - why do we - we are not in favor of this
kind of period is that people make mistakes. They change owner and mistype
the new owner or the address of the new owner.

And then we have no way of correcting that for the next let's say 60 days or
so. We see that this is, at least with mass customers, is a more often
problem than, you know, misuse of changing the owner (rapidly). Is that
customers misspell something, mistype something because they actually type
in their names in our (storefront).

And, you know, they quite often do mistakes. And then they call our customer
service and say yes, my address is this and that and not this and that. And
can we correct that? And in the future we would have to say no for the next
two months let's say, we can't do that. And, you know, that might be a
problem.

Berry Cobb

720.839.5735

mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx