ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtpc]

Re: [gnso-irtpc] Invitation to Participate in Survey on Working Group Guidelines

  • To: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-irtpc] Invitation to Participate in Survey on Working Group Guidelines
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 11:29:15 -0500

Hi,

And yet, you volunteered to co-chair IRTP-D.  A service postion I treasured in
this WG.

I think the issue would be out of scope for the Standing Committee on
'Improvements' (SCI).  Our mandate is to:

1.  review glitches that occur in the use of GNSO Operating procedure and come
up with recommendations for fixing them
2. Periodically review the various GNSO processes overall for operational well
being.

(3. Lately we have also gotten into a little bit of navel gazing trying to
update our own charter as well.  I guess that is in any group's mandate.)

The issue of why the trend toward ICANN BoardStaff capture* is beyond its
mandate (in my not so humble opinion as the SCI vice-chair)

But yes, I can understand the image that in today's ICANN environment, this
poll may seem like arranging the chairs on Titanic.  But assuming we can save
the Titanic in efforts elsewhere, we still need to have a WG methodology that
works and we need to make sure that people on WGs have the tools they need.
What use would it be to win the battle to preserve the bottom-up process but to
abandon that process in the effort.

So thanks for filling out the questionnaire.

avri

* where it seems they want to forgo the PDP process and bring their own will to
bear on all policy decisions, including a new effort to eliminate all picket
fences what make Consensus PDPs even possible