ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtpc]

RE: [gnso-irtpc] Invitation to Participate in Survey on Working Group Guidelines

  • To: "'Alain Berranger'" <alain.berranger@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-improvem-impl-sc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-irtpc] Invitation to Participate in Survey on Working Group Guidelines
  • From: "Ron Andruff" <randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 14:14:23 -0400

Dear Alain,

Thank you for your thoughtful and informative comments.  Mikey is right when
he says “don’t worry, we all went through this…”.  All of the old-timers as
well as newcomers have experienced feeling this huge chasm of lack of
information and fear of speaking up for perhaps sounding foolish… And you
are correct to a certain extent that there is some merit in ‘growing’ in
ICANN through putting in the years, but with the maturing organization we
have today, with all the newcomers, we simply don’t have enough mentors to
do the job effectively. So now is a good time to address this issue and I
believe that the ‘tool kit’ that we – and staff – have been talking about
for what feels like a long time is within our grasp.

An organization can only function effectively when all members are versed in
the distinct language of the organization, in my view.

The other issue that you touched on made me aware that it seems to be a
recurring one amongst all of the volunteers of ICANN and that is our mutual
attraction to the great experiment of the multi-stakeholder model.  For my
part, that is one of the most exciting parts of ICANN and what has kept me
in this community for some 13 years or so.  It is obviously the same for
you, someone more new to the community.  So maybe you have identified ‘the
glue’ that brings this disparate community together… If everyone kept that
element at the forefront of their thoughts when engaging in ICANN work, we
would probably have a lot less friction in the organization and find our way
to more effective bottom-up decision-making.

Thanks again for bringing these ideas to light. Very helpful.

Kind regards,

RA

Ronald N. Andruff

RNA <http://www.rnapartners.com>  Partners, Inc.