ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtpc]

RE: [gnso-irtpc] Invitation to Participate in Survey on Working Group Guidelines

  • To: Ron Andruff <randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Alain Berranger'" <alain.berranger@xxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-improvem-impl-sc@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-improvem-impl-sc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-irtpc] Invitation to Participate in Survey on Working Group Guidelines
  • From: "Sedo :: Simonetta Batteiger" <simonetta@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 19:21:20 +0000

Dear Alain & Mikey,

Want to tell you that this "fear of sounding stupid" - especially around how an
ICANN PDP process should work - is definitely how I felt.
Also, to see how this multi-stakeholder approach can work (and experiencing
when it does work and when it does not work) has been one of the main reasons
for me to stick out some of the lengthy discussions in the IRTP working group.
So you're definitely also on to something by identifying this as part of the
"glue"...

A few things that could be done:

1)      Actively acknowledging that "if this is your first workgroup you will
likely feel like you can't contribute because you don't want to sound foolish,
don't be discouraged, we've all been there" => could be made part of the
"welcome to the working group" by the Chair or a member of staff; that was
never done with me, but it would have been great!

2)      A "newbie" can be pointed to one other more experienced member of the
workgroup who helps him/her along => Could be done by chair or staff

3)      Presenting the guideline information in a more visual form (e.g. as an
educational video) could help, nobody really has time to read a 20 page PDF,
and it leaves a new working group member with the challenge to somehow figure
out how and who to ask about all the stuff they did not understand (which is
very likely a good chunk of that guideline document if you are new to the
process)

4)      Ask newbies for feedback on all those parts they don't understand and
expand on that with FAQs (asking those of us who are now familiar with the
topic for feedback won't tell you if a newbie can make sense of that document)

Just a few thoughts...
Simonetta