ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-opencouncilmtg-dt]

RE: [gnso-opencouncilmtg-dt] Open Council Meeting Drafting Team

  • Subject: RE: [gnso-opencouncilmtg-dt] Open Council Meeting Drafting Team
  • From: <Mary.Wong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 18:26:02 -0400

Thanks, Adrian, John and everyone, for getting us off to such a good
start with plenty of suggestions!

I like Adrian's idea of calling it the GNSO Public Forum, rather than
the Open Council Meeting. If we also incorporate some of the other
excellent suggestions, we may yet be able to increase audience
participation and engagement at the session. Hopefully this will not
only provide the GNSO community with an opportunity to give direct
feedback and suggestions, it will also allow the Council to interact
directly with both active, regular GNSO participants as well as newer
entrants and other members of the ICANN community outside the GNSO.

To that end, may I bring up a previous suggestion (I forget by who,
sorry) that we do a general Open Mic at the beginning of the meeting?
This can supplement the regular, shorter Open Mic minutes that Adrian
has suggested interspersing with the topical discussions throughout the
meeting (on the assumption that these other open mics will be geared
more toward the specific topic under discussion).

I also support Adrian's ideas that (1) we discuss future motions at the
Public Forum, and solicit feedback from the community; and (2) each SG/C
(as appropriate) give a short update (especially since the Public Forum
will take place after Constituency Day).

Additionally, I'd like to suggest that we invite, and actively seek the
participation of, other ICANN groups and participants. In particular, I
think it would be useful to extend a welcome to ICANN Fellows and other
newbies (and in this respect, the Briefing Papers we had discussed a
while ago ca be very helpful).

Cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
Director, Franklin Pierce Center for IP
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAWTwo White StreetConcord, NH
03301USAEmail: mary.wong@xxxxxxx.eduPhone: 1-603-513-5143Webpage:
http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.phpSelected writings available on
the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at:
http://ssrn.com/author=437584>>>