ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-csg]

[gnso-osc-csg] RE: GNSO-OSC-CSG: Subtask 1.2 Team

  • To: "'Victoria McEvedy'" <victoria@xxxxxxxxxx>, Michael Young <myoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Anthony Harris <harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Rafik Dammak <rafik.dammak@xxxxxxxxx>, SS Kshatriy <sskshatriy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc-csg] RE: GNSO-OSC-CSG: Subtask 1.2 Team
  • From: Claudio Di Gangi <cdigangi@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 15:35:30 -0500

Dear Subtask team,

I have attached comments on the latest Subtask 2 draft. Below is a quick
summary. I'm sorry if any of this was discussed on the recent Subtask team call
which I was not able to join.

1.      After all the comments have been submitted on the draft, I think we
need to reassess the level of support for each recommendation (& the associated
supporting analysis that is provided in a later section). For example, on the
Code of Practice there does not appear to be a simple majority either way on
the subtask team, yet this recommendation is still listed under the "rough
consensus" heading.

2.      Some of the previously submitted comments were not clearly reflected in
the latest draft (as the document now stands at over 20 pages long). To address
this, I deleted Part V and added a sentence under Part IV Analysis.

3.      I deleted the reference to the IPC in Section 3.6. This is the only
section of the document where a specific Constituency or Stakeholder group is
mentioned, and in particular, it is being mentioned in a negative light. This
runs contrary to the spirit of GNSO Improvements and keeping the language in
the document neutral and non-contentious.

4.      I reworded the language used in Part III to better reflect the comments
that were submitted. I also revised this section with a new heading:
Minority/Alternate Views

5.      Part II Compromise Recommendations - I changed the "rough consensus" to
majority viewpoint (if that is indeed still the level of support for each of
these recommendations)

Item 4 & 5 above concern the notion of how we are measuring support on the
subtask team level.

My understanding of the various labels within our WT Charter, including the
"rough consensus" label, is intended for the entire work team to use, not for a
"subtask".  The latter is too small for these labels to make sense (for
example: 4-2 is "rough consensus," but if even one vote switched, there would
not even be a majority position. On our subtask team level, we should use
either: unanimous consensus, majority view, or minority view.

I have cc'd the full work team for reference on the last point.

Claudio