ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-csg]

[gnso-osc-csg] RE: Actions/Summary: 23 April Meeting

  • To: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>, gnso-osc-csg <gnso-osc-csg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc-csg] RE: Actions/Summary: 23 April Meeting
  • From: Claudio Di Gangi <cdigangi@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 22:49:35 -0400

Julie,

thanks for your good work here. I will be on travel, but I will try to review
this and the Task 2 document and try to provide comments before the call next
week.

since it was referenced in the call summary, i had a comment for the work team
in terms of the definitions of should and shall, because I do think they are
used interchangeably.

see: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/should

also, as we discussed on the call, it was used interchangeably in the BGC
report, and in the implementation documents that stemmed from the
recommendations, including the document that develops the working group model
for the council.

i think we should strive to present our recommendations in a manner that
reflects the diverse global audience that it its intended to reach, and avoid
using over legalistic language, especially when participation is voluntary.

we just need to simply state: "these are the implementation recommendations for
common operating principles and procedures for all groups to abide by."

 if we use that language in our report, there is no ambiguity whether the
recommendations are optional.

the Board will ensure that the Constituencies and Stakeholder groups are
compliant with GNSO improvements. it is not something that is open to
misinterpretation by a reader.

just wanted to let you know my thoughts on this.

have a nice weekend everyone.

claudio