ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-csg]

Re: [gnso-osc-csg] Actions/Summary: 28 May 2010

  • To: HughesDeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc-csg] Actions/Summary: 28 May 2010
  • From: Rafik Dammak <rafik.dammak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 17:08:35 +0900

Hi Debra,

sorry for delay:

1/ I think that ICANN website has some materials, the issue is how much they
are adapted for newcomer to understand ICANN structure, scope and explain
the how-to involve and what constituency to join.
I recommend that the community participate in the guide design. I also
recommend avoid using "ICANN for Dummies", even if it is great series, for
some cultural reasons it may be misunderstood. The concept is ok, we just
need to drop that title. For the guide, we can get example from an IETF
guide addressed to newcomer called Tao of IETF http://www.ietf.org/tao.html
 .
In addition to workshops, I advice more long-term capacity-building
and learning program like that one provided by DiploFoundation (olga and me
attended it) http://www.diplomacy.edu/ig/IGCBP/display.asp?Topic=Programme and
where ICANN is already partner. ISOC started the same process this year with
the eleader program http://www.isoc.org/leaders/. so an adapted
capacity-building program (we should avoid using the term educate, it may be
seen as offending) with focus exclusively on ICANN structure, activities
would be effective. it may benefit to existign members and newcomers .

For workshops,
1/ All regions should have such workshop (like INET model
http://www.isoc.org/isoc/conferences/inet/ ) and with fellowship program (
fellowship  showed that many fellows follow-p and become active member of
ICANN community)
Workshop program should have main sessions about ICANN overview, description
of its structure and other advanced sessions about ongoing activities
Panelists should be from the ICANN community and staff. it is important to
involve ICANN community member in particular from the region where workshop
is held.

I think that Olga can give more details about Summer School (it was my
 first experience to meet people from ICANN)

b/ I don't advice having a lot of material, but more a booklet  with details
in addition to the "ICANN for dummies". the former can be formal and even
academic for some topic.

I am not in favor in flyers as they are not really effective.

2/
I don't have specific recommendation now for identifying populations but I
think that we know basically that they are from developing regions and in
particular non-commercial organizations : NGO and academia/technical
community.
Fellowship program proved that "investing" on young participants is worthy
to do. we may develop this in more specific program fro young like ITU is
doing for youth
http://www.itu.int/ITU-D/youth/itu__telecom_youth_forums.html
with targeting young experts. we have good result doing that for Internet
Governance Forum
3/
Sending emails for example is not effective for some countries and cultures,
face to face is important for building trust and long-term relations. a
regular presence of ICANN community members on Internet-Policy, Academic
conference about Network etc are important in particular for those events
who are organized in developing regions.

Even when we contact people, it is also important to provide reliable
contact or focal point from ICANN who can handle questions and requests from
people who want to join. Personalized response are more effective than
standardized ones. A dedicated person can develop a rusted relations with
newcomers and provide a mentoring-like ( we can also develop mentoring
program from ICANN community members, IETF is doing that for its fellows who
attend for first time IETF meetings) to ensure follow-up and helping people
to be involved.

we can link this to point 4, Global Partnership program is doing outreach
and keeping contact with community since a while but it is mostly for ccTLD,
telecom operator and governments and intergovernmental organizations by
attending conferences, symposiums etc. I advice to have feedback from the
regional managers of Africa and MENA (I know them, we can discuss further
how we can do that.

5/ about committee , it should be formed by member from all SGs and having
dedicated staff  ( maybe the focal point previously mentioned for example).
maybe it can follow the nomcom model?
there is already the public participation committee with board members,
maybe we can find ways to coordinate with them.

I will try to send more comments later
Regards

Rafik