ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-csg]

RE: [gnso-osc-csg] Actions/Summary: 28 May 2010

  • To: <rafik.dammak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-osc-csg] Actions/Summary: 28 May 2010
  • From: <HughesDeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 19:05:39 -0400

Thanks so much Rafik.

Debra Y. Hughes l Senior Counsel
American Red Cross

Office of the General Counsel
2025 E Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20006
Phone: (202) 303-5356
Fax: (202) 303-0143
HughesDeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:HughesDeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

________________________________

From: Rafik Dammak [mailto:rafik.dammak@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2010 4:09 AM
To: Hughes, Debra Y.
Cc: julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx; gnso-osc-csg@xxxxxxxxx

Hi Debra,

sorry for delay:

1/ I think that ICANN website has some materials, the issue is how much
they are adapted for newcomer to understand ICANN structure, scope and
explain the how-to involve and what constituency to join.

I recommend that the community participate in the guide design. I also
recommend avoid using "ICANN for Dummies", even if it is great series,
for some cultural reasons it may be misunderstood. The concept is ok, we
just need to drop that title. For the guide, we can get example from an
IETF guide addressed to newcomer called Tao of IETF
http://www.ietf.org/tao.html .
In addition to workshops, I advice more long-term capacity-building and
learning program like that one provided by DiploFoundation (olga and me
attended it)
http://www.diplomacy.edu/ig/IGCBP/display.asp?Topic=Programme and where
ICANN is already partner. ISOC started the same process this year with
the eleader program http://www.isoc.org/leaders/. so an adapted
capacity-building program (we should avoid using the term educate, it
may be seen as offending) with focus exclusively on ICANN structure,
activities would be effective. it may benefit to existign members and
newcomers .

For workshops,

1/ All regions should have such workshop (like INET model
http://www.isoc.org/isoc/conferences/inet/ ) and with fellowship program
( fellowship  showed that many fellows follow-p and become active member
of ICANN community)

Workshop program should have main sessions about ICANN overview,
description of its structure and other advanced sessions about ongoing
activities

Panelists should be from the ICANN community and staff. it is important
to involve ICANN community member in particular from the region where
workshop is held.

I think that Olga can give more details about Summer School (it was my
first experience to meet people from ICANN)

b/ I don't advice having a lot of material, but more a booklet  with
details in addition to the "ICANN for dummies". the former can be formal
and even academic for some topic.

I am not in favor in flyers as they are not really effective.

2/

I don't have specific recommendation now for identifying populations but
I think that we know basically that they are from developing regions and
in particular non-commercial organizations : NGO and academia/technical
community.

Fellowship program proved that "investing" on young participants is
worthy to do. we may develop this in more specific program fro young
like ITU is doing for youth
http://www.itu.int/ITU-D/youth/itu__telecom_youth_forums.html

with targeting young experts. we have good result doing that for
Internet Governance Forum

3/

Sending emails for example is not effective for some countries and
cultures, face to face is important for building trust and long-term
relations. a regular presence of ICANN community members on
Internet-Policy, Academic conference about Network etc are important in
particular for those events who are organized in developing regions.

Even when we contact people, it is also important to provide reliable
contact or focal point from ICANN who can handle questions and requests
from people who want to join. Personalized response are more effective
than standardized ones. A dedicated person can develop a rusted
relations with newcomers and provide a mentoring-like ( we can also
develop mentoring program from ICANN community members, IETF is doing
that for its fellows who attend for first time IETF meetings) to ensure
follow-up and helping people to be involved.

we can link this to point 4, Global Partnership program is doing
outreach and keeping contact with community since a while but it is
mostly for ccTLD, telecom operator and governments and intergovernmental
organizations by attending conferences, symposiums etc. I advice to have
feedback from the regional managers of Africa and MENA (I know them, we
can discuss further how we can do that.

5/ about committee , it should be formed by member from all SGs and
having dedicated staff  ( maybe the focal point previously mentioned for
example).

maybe it can follow the nomcom model?

there is already the public participation committee with board members,
maybe we can find ways to coordinate with them.

I will try to send more comments later

Regards

Rafik