ICANN ICANN Email List Archives


<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

[gnso-osc-csg] Actions/Summary: 01 Oct 2010 Meeting

  • To: gnso-osc-csg <gnso-osc-csg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc-csg] Actions/Summary: 01 Oct 2010 Meeting
  • From: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 07:53:40 -0700

Dear Work Team members,

Here are the summary and actions from the meeting on 01 Oct.  Please let me 
know if you have any changes or questions.  These also are posted to our wiki 
at: https://st.icann.org/icann-osc/index.cgi?constituency_operations_team.   I 
have attached the document discussed on the call — the outreach recommendations 
with OSC and Work Team comments.  Olga and I will work on the next iteration of 
the document and the Work Team will be requested to comment on the list.  Based 
on the comments, we will decide whether to hold a meeting on Friday, 08 October 
at 1300 UTC.

Best regards,


The Work Team discussed the comments from the OSC and WT members on the 
document sent to the OSC on 10 September. They addressed several concerns as 

1) Need for a Committee: With respect to the concern about the need for a 
Committee and possible resulting bureaucracy, the WT suggested that a larger 
Task Force could be created, in lieu of a Committee, but with a smaller 
Steering Committee. The Task Force would be large enough to allow for diversity 
of membership, but the inclusion of a small Steering Committee could prevent 
the group from becoming bureaucratic. (This also relates to a comment provided 
by Ron Andruff.) In addition, the Steering Committee could include 
representatives from Stakeholder Groups and Constituencies who are engaged in 
outreach efforts in those groups, to avoid duplication of effort.
2) Timing of the Committee: The Work Team also addressed the concern that the 
Task Force should be time-delimited but suggesting that it should be 
established for an initial term of 2 years followed by a review. If the review 
determines that the work of the Task Force should continue, its charter could 
be renewed annually.
3) Differences in Outreach Efforts/Principles: In addition, the Work Team 
suggested that to addresses concerns about differences in outreach efforts 
among the various stakeholder groups and constituencies, the Task Force should 
have some principles. These could include that 1) outreach to potential 
participants to the Commercial Stakeholder Groups is different from outreach to 
the Non-Commercial Stakeholder Groups; 2) there are communities that are not 
well-represented in the GNSO and outreach efforts should target these 
communities; 3) outreach should originate from a variety of sources, not just 
from stakeholder groups and constituencies.
4) Accountability/Measurement: With respect to concerns about accountability 
mechanisms, the Work Team suggested that the first objective of the Task Force 
would be to conduct a survey of existing GNSO outreach activities by the 
stakeholder groups, constituencies, and ICANN, including the Fellowship 
program. The Task Force could analyze the effectiveness of existing efforts, 
such as whether they have increased membership and participation, and whether 
fellows have continued to be active in ICANN, and used these data to determine 
where there are gaps in order to develop recommendations for additional 
outreach activities. Concerning the issue of targeting outreach to Registrar's 
and Registries (the language suggested by Michael), these activities could be 
tied to the new gTLD process.
5) Balancing Outreach Efforts: Finally, concerning the necessity for balance, 
while the Work Team agreed that universities are under-represented in ICANN, it 
noted that there should be a balance with outreach to businesses, 
non-governmental, and other entities. However, the Work Team added that 
targeting outreach to universities could be an effective way to bring in other 
new participants.
ACTIONS: Olga agreed to edit the document and send it to Julie to review and 
edit. Julie will send it to the Work Team for review and Tony agreed to help 
with further edits. The Work Team will review the document on the list and 
decide whether an additional meeting is necessary on Friday, 08 October.

Attachment: bin1HoiY4zYkh.bin
Description: application/applefile

Attachment: OSC Constituency & S#79323C.doc
Description: OSC Constituency & Stakeholder Group Global Outreach Program Recommendations - Comments 29 Sept.doc

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy