ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-osc-ops] possible issue with elections

• To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc-ops] possible issue with elections
  • Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 10:39:32 -0500

Avri,

As you know, that was an anticipated outcome of the Contracted (pro-Chuck, or more generally, RyC-or-RC-manditory-Chair-or-VC) vs Non-Contracted (pro-Olga, and possible anti-see-above) House vote whip activity on Saturday. I observed one side, you the other.

Is no-chair, and therefore two-equi-co-chairs a bad outcome?

I don't think so.

Is a really bad chair (or co-chair) a really bad outcome?

The candidature of Mike Rodenbaugh made process failure a real possibility.

We've managed to pass the opportunity to observe what happens if one house views the other house plus chair as a single, adverse interest group, though we've a taste of that in the selection of a single Contracted Party House member in the IRT, similar to the narrowest of unicameral majorities, and the more I think about it the better two co-equal co-chairs appears.

The process failure to avoid as an election outcome is the end of the GNSO Council as a body, whether legislative (old) or administrative (new), in which gTLD stakeholders can find common interest.

I guess I'm more concerned about party tyranny, that is, the adverse outcome of a majority for a leadership candidate, than accommodation to equity within the leadership, the outcome of no majority for a leadership candidate. I know we missed it this time, I simply don't want us to make it mandatory to miss every time hereafter.

Eric

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy