ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

RE: [gnso-osc-ops] Abstentions and Conflicts of Interest]

  • To: "'Ken Stubbs'" <kstubbs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Tony Holmes'" <tonyarholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-osc-ops] Abstentions and Conflicts of Interest]
  • From: "Ray Fassett" <ray@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 09:39:55 -0500

Right, thanks Ken & Tony.  Apparently this is not the case for all SG's and
Constituencies.  I believe the BC and IP constituencies have historically
not had the same binding sort of measures placed upon their council reps.
In other words, some council reps have the autonomy to act in their
individual capacity as GNSO council reps.

I don't think it is within the scope of our work team to mandate language
into an SG or Constituency charter.  Though I am certainly open to others
thoughts to this point.

I think what we can do - in the rules of procedure - is place the burden
squarely upon the SG/Constituency to resolve the conflict of their
individual before getting to the council level.  For the registry and ISP
stakeholder group, I think this is a moot point because these are 2 examples
of SG's that have long accepted the burden.  For those SG's that haven't
(such as hard coded into their charter), the answer can't (reasonably) be
"change the denominator" upon a vote if their individual has to abstain due
to their own individual conflict.

I felt on our last call that both Steve Metalitz and Kristina Rosette agreed
to the reasonableness of this discussion...which is simply don't transfer
the individual conflict to the council level but instead resolve the
conflict at the SG level before it gets there.  And this is the burden of
the SG to accomplish.  Why?  Because GNSO council reps are to be managers of
the policy process vs. developing policy.  I can see instances of interest
conflict of an individual if their role is to "develop" policy but if truly
just "managing" the policy process (as falls under our ballywick) then the
instances for individual conflict of interest should be extremely rare.
Which means altering the denominator upon a council vote should be extremely
rare.

Short of our ability to force or mandate language into an SG charter, the
question becomes what rules can we offer as procedure for an SG to use to
resolve a conflict of interest when notified of such conflict by their
individual rep?  We discussed enabling the SG to transfer their vote to a
different individual without such a conflict.  If the SG, for whatever
reason, has not followed this procedure at time of council vote, then the
denominator will not be changed as a result of an abstention.  This would be
placing the burden upon the SG via rules articulated in the procedures.  The
open point we have is to seek ICANN staff legal advice on the concept of
building into the rules of procedure a mechanism for an SG to transfer its
vote from one individual to a different individual (when notified by their
rep of a conflict of interest).

The question at hand here is:  Under what conditions is the denominator to
change at the time of a vote at the council level as a result of an
abstention (where such abstention is the result of an individual's conflict
of interest)?  If we place the burden of the conflict at the SG level,
through clear rules of procedure to resolve, any such instance of an
abstention at the council for this reason should be rare.

Hope this helps...and discussion welcome to any of the above.

Ray