ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

[gnso-osc-ops] substitute members in the council

  • To: gnso-osc-ops <gnso-osc-ops@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc-ops] substitute members in the council
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 10:21:51 -0400

hi,

I believe that during yesterday's meeting we effectively increased the
effective size of the council.

Why do i say this?

because given the history of absences and given the new opportunity to
establish a stand-in for whenever participation is made difficult by travel or
my schedule rotation,  the SG can appoint a stand-in.   and there will almost
always be one or more stand-ins participating in some aspect of the council's
business.

The question then becomes - what are the rights of these substitutes.
Obviously they can vote.  Can they participate in the discussions? Do they
attend the entire meting? Do they have to be included in all meeting
announcements?  Do they have the right/responsibility to correct or annotate
the minutes of the meeting?  If the substitution is because of extended travel,
do they get added to email list and allowed to participate in the discussions?
Can a substitute vote on an PDP issue when an absentee vote is mandated?  if so
what does this mean about the validity of the PDPd vis a vis consensus policy
on issues inside the picket fence?  how does the secretariat confirm the rights
of the substitute - if she does not receive a note from the Chair in time, is
the substitute disallowed?

Sorry I can't let this rest, but the more I think about the meeting and our
discussions, the more questions I have.  And unfortunately I think the path we
are taking will require us to document the answers to many of these issues.  I
know that the fact that the contracted parties have so few representatives was
my reason for agreeing it made sense to allow all of this substitution, but I
worry about the box of knots we have opened.

a.

a.