ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

Re: [gnso-osc-ops] substitute members in the council

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc-ops] substitute members in the council
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 11:11:15 -0400

Avri,

As someone who observes Council meetings open to observers, I want to
point out that each of the predicate conditions you mention for any
substitute to be equally informed and equally capable of acting as the
voting representative of a seat holding constituent body, that is,
access to announcements, access to annotations of the minutes, email,
and discussion participation, if provided to observers, would be
adequate for the substitute.

If there is an "as-informed-as" set of access tokens (email, etc), to
which council observers may request, and absent misuse, obtain, then
substitutes, who presumably are diligent and conscientious observers,
by requesting that set of access tokens, are as informed as members.

I'm not saying this is the only way to do this, but a substitute is
just an observer until there is a requirement to present the absent
member's views in discussion, and vote the absent member's seat in voting.

Eric
perpetual observer #3 from CORE