ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

Re: [gnso-osc-ops] voting

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>, gnso-osc-ops <gnso-osc-ops@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc-ops] voting
  • From: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 13:14:45 -0700

Hi Avri,

Thanks for pointing out the defective link.  I will fix it.  The relevant
section pertaining to decision making in the Charter is provided below.

Thanks,
Julie

Decision Making: The WT shall function on the basis of ³rough consensus²
meaning that all points of view will be discussed until the Chair can
ascertain that the point of view is understood and has been covered. That
consensus viewpoint will be reported to the OSC in the form of a WT Report.
Anyone with a minority view will be invited to include a discussion in the
WT Report. The minority view should include the names and affiliations of
those contributing to that part of the report.
In producing the WT Report, the Chair will be responsible for designating
each position as having one of the following designations:

€ Unanimous consensus position
€ Rough consensus position where no more than 1/3 disagrees and at least 2/3
agree
€ Strong support (at least a simple majority), but significant opposition
(more than 1/3)
€ No majority position

In all cases, the Chair will include the names and affiliations of those in
support of each position and for participants representing a group (e.g.,
constituencies, stakeholder groups, other groups) will indicate if their
support represents the consensus view of their constituency/group.
If any participant in a WT disagrees with the designation given to a
position by the Chair or any other rough consensus call, they can follow
these steps sequentially:

1. Send an email to the Chair, copying the WT explaining why the decision is
believed to be in error.
2. If the Chair still disagrees, forward the appeal to the OSC. The Chair
must explain his or her reasoning in the response.
3. If the OSC supports the Chair, the participants may attach a statement of
the appeal to the GNSO Council Report generated by the OSC. This statement
should include the documentation from all steps in the appeals process and
should include a statement from the OSC.