ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

Re: [gnso-osc-ops] Conflicting Language on Staff Roles

  • To: gnso-osc-ops <gnso-osc-ops@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc-ops] Conflicting Language on Staff Roles
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 08:23:49 -0400

On 1 Oct 2010, at 15:16, Ray Fassett wrote:

> but before you do, why shouldn't people employed by ICANN
> not be allowed to voice their opinion?  Is it supposed to be that everyone
> in the world is allowed to participate in ICANN policy to inherently voice
> an opinion unless you take a job with ICANN?  I might answer this by saying,
> no the person can still have a voice even if employed by ICANN but it must
> be understood, at all times, that their position is on behalf and
> representative of ICANN interests.

i mostly agree with this.

with one addition:  if that member of ICANN also happens to be involved in the
IETF as a chair or an editor/contributor, not saying that this is the case n
this case, then that too should be know - even though that is a non paying
extra curricular activity.

but i certainly agree that staff member's opinions should be heard, and in fact
often are to the benefit of the entire enterprise.

a.