ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-osc] Latest Draft Version of OSC Charter

• To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc] Latest Draft Version of OSC Charter
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 19:19:06 -0800

Hi Chuck,

I am trying to mitigate the cross-constituency meddling in the affairs of other constituencies that is in the current draft. What was written in the draft was that rules would be established for forming constituencies and it seemed to apply that these rules would be some kind of "one-size-fits-all" way of establishing constituencies. But the needs and sizes of the various constituencies will vary - especially between stakeholder groups. I don't think NCUC should be telling the commercial stakeholder group how to organize the constituencies within that group and vice-versa. There will always be disparity in the number of participants between constituencies, and the ability of volunteers to be as aggressive as paid lobbyists, etc., so trying to establish rules to govern as if there were a level playing field does not reflect reality. I think constituencies and stakeholder groups should be given as much flexibility as possible in their organization and we should not try to hamstring this process with a zeal to impose uniform rules when needs and situations are not uniform. So while I'm not insistent on the particular wording that I suggested, I am definitely not comfortable with the way it is currently drafted for these reasons.

Thanks,
Robin

On Nov 25, 2008, at 5:26 PM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

Thanks Robin. You added in two places, "stakeholder groups are primarily responsible for establishing their own constituencies". I am not sure that is consistent with the Board recommendations. It is my understanding that intent was that it should be possible for constituencies to self-form and that procedures should be put in place to facilitate that. That is quite different than what you added.

What do others think?

Rob - it might be helpful for you to get some feedback from Denise and maybe Roberto as Chair of the BGC.

Chuck

From: owner-gnso-osc@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-osc@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Robin Gross
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:05 PM
To: gnso-osc@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [gnso-osc] Latest Draft Version of OSC Charter

Oops -the file is now attached to this email - apologies.   :-)  Robin

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
1192 Haight Street, San Francisco, CA  94117  USA
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy