ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] Proposed agenda for PEDNR WG call

  • To: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] Proposed agenda for PEDNR WG call
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 16:29:55 +0100

On 18 Aug 2009, at 16:07, James M. Bladel wrote:

Thanks, Marika.

Before we dive too deeply into questions about resellers, I'd encourage folks to review the new Registrar Accreditation Agreement (adopted early
by many major registrars).  Specifically, it contains provisions
addressing the relationship between registrars and resellers, beginning
with the new language in Sec. 3.12.

http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/agreements.html

With this in mind, I would propose that we make no distinction between
"resellers" and "registrars" for the purposes of this PDP.

The problem with the new RAA is two fold:

1 - Not all registrars have signed it as yet. The biggest ones have, but it would be useful to get a breakdown of the actual numbers on RAA 1 vs RAA 2 (where "2" is the more recent iteration)

2 - A LOT of registrars who have resellers will not have signed contracts with the resellers AND imposing a change in the relationship after the agreement (if any) has been in force for an extended period of time could be problematic

+ Roll-call
+ Finalization of PEDNR public comment announcement
ok

+ Review of constituency input template
ok

+ Continue discussion on registrar survey – which information is
required to answer charter questions?

Can we try to avoid the subject of price entirely this evening. I think it's been done to death at this stage :)

+ Discussion of example of a ‘so-called reseller that is likely a
Registrar’ provided by Garth Bruen

It might be prudent not to discuss this unless someone from DemandMedia is involved in the conversation and it's not as if they're hard to contact. If the WG is going to spend its (and my) time on some kind of witch hunt of registrars then I can't see how it's going to progress anything and I can't imagine I'd be alone in that view (though I could be wrong ...)

+ Schedule for next and further meetings

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions
Hosting & Colocation, Brand Protection
http://www.blacknight.com/