ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] Whois Output from "Thin Registry"

  • To: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] Whois Output from "Thin Registry"
  • From: "Rob Hall" <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 12:32:24 -0400

Michelle,

First, we do actually know where our customers are doing whois searches
on our domains.  Every Registrar does, as we serve the data.  I can tell
you that not many get done at third party sites such as who.is and
domaintools.  The vast majority get done on our website, and mostly from
logged in customers.

And I think your solution is to propose a flag of some type like .ORG
does that says they are in that 45 day auto-renew grace period.  I think
at first blush I would probably support that.  One little thing would
need to change, which is if the Registrar sent an explicit renew during
that period that it removed the flag, but didn't extend the domain for
an addition year.  I would think this would be an easy flag, as you
could apply it to ANY active domain that had not been explicitly renewed
that was 45 days after expiration.

For example, in your .ORG example:

Created On:14-Sep-2006 16:23:38 UTC
Last Updated On:15-Sep-2009 13:46:21 UTC
Expiration Date:14-Sep-2010 16:23:38 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:eNom, Inc. (R39-LROR)
Status:OK
Status:AUTORENEWPERIOD"

I would not want an explicit renew to take the domain to 2011, but
rather just 2010 and take the domain out of the auto renew period.  I
suspect this is a change in the behavior at the Registry level.

Rob.