ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

[gnso-pednr-dt] Post expiration renewal stats

• To: PEDNR <gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-pednr-dt] Post expiration renewal stats
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 00:40:32 -0500

As a follow-on to James' numbers, it would be useful to see the patterns from other registrars. Due to different customer bases and pre-expiration notifications, they could be substantially different.

What would be most useful would be:

- percentage of expiring gTLD domains that are renewed prior to expiration
- percentage that are renewed on each of day 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- percentage that are renewed during days 11-15, 16-20, 21-25 and 26-30.
- indication of which day the domain is re-directed to the parking site.

I (and potentially one or two other WG members would be prepared to sign non-disclosure agreements if you do not want to make the information public. I would presume that Marika could also be copied on any such data.

Can any other registrars help?

Alan

At 08/12/2010 12:02 AM, you wrote:
Team:

Sorry I cannot join you tomorrow morning, but I have a previous commitment to the DNSSEC event.

After some discussions this weekend, I spoke with our internal stats team and requested six months' data on renewal activity for gTLDs. Renewals were bucket-sorted by post-expiry time (<0 days, 1 day, 2-10 days, 11-30 days, and 30+ days). The percentages are listed below.

(NOTE: I am not authorized to release raw numbers, but the average monthly renewals for this period was more than 2.5 million domain names.)

This data indicates that a significant portion of names renew either before, upon, or within 1 day of expiration. Also noteworthy is the significant drop off in renewal activity after Day 2. Finally, it is clear that renewals are rare beyond the 10th day.

In an earlier conversation, some of us (myself included) speculated that we might be "chasing the tail" of renewal activity for periods longer than 5 or 10 days. But even I was surprised at the substantial lack of renewal activity only a few days past expiration.

Therefore, I submit to the team that the benefits of a longer grace period (>10 days) are negligible, and do not warrant the disruption to existing business practices and industry expectations.

Thanks--

J.

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy